Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Teens and visitation

I might accept EQUAL rights if equal RESPONSIBILITIES went along with it. Up until the separation I did 98% of the parenting, homemaking, etc. and worked full time as well. So I would be dead dog tired as I paid OUR bills, did OUR dishes, fought with OUR kids over homework, etc. Yet now he gets to waltz in a take time with MY kids away from me? If he had stepped up to the plate while we were still married I may feel differently. I feel cheated. He decided to control the situation with our divorce by not paying one dime toward child support or our other financial obligations. Yet he has equal rights? I guarantee if he knew his rights would be infringed upon if he didn't take care of his responsibilities I wouldn't have to be paying an attorney to get child support. Rights and responsibilities should go hand-in-hand.

I agree. It used to be if you didnt pay child support you didnt get your visitation... I AGREE wish it was still that way!!! Now if you lose your job or something I understand - go to the court explain the situation, but take responsibility... If I didnt buy food my kids CPS would take them away! But they (non custodial parents, women or men) just figure this is "extra" money for us?? ??? grrr...
Talked with my kids. Told them they HAVE to start NOW telling him they dont want to go for Christmas... My son refuses to "run" away- Daughter would... Told him its more like a play that we put on for the courts and their father... I dunno whats gonna happen....

Wishing you luck. My kids are 8 and 11. I, too, tell them they have to tell their dad how they feel. Now, if your kids make the time together completely miserable, chances are "Dad" will think twice before another extended stay. Not that I want your kids to be miserable, but we all know teens can make things very unpleasant when they decide to.