Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: separated for over a year, son lives with me...

Get that attorney and QUICK!!!! Don't do anything like give him an address until you have some sort of custody in place.

I don't know the answer to this but if he has a history of abuse then I would check it out thorougly.
I know that where I am from one does not have to list their address on divorce papers. The only papers it has to be listed on are the one the court keeps. Otherwise it can be written as, "confidential."
P.O. Boxes can be used to share information back & forth during a divorce (ie papers signed & returned).
I've also heard taxes can be filed differently when there are cases of abuse & the divorced' spouse wants to remain anonymous. Be sure to check with state/federal, etc. A lot of these places don't offer up the info but if one asks it is surprising the privacy rights in regards.

It sounds like you have been doing well & staying strong. I would check into filing a temporary restraining order that would block his access to you that would give you leeway time until you can file for divorce as you say you are in about a month.
NO, do not give out this information but do as much info checking as possible & you would need to find out in your area as it varies. If you can get the restraining order it may block his access to your kids to & this is the key I think at this point.
IF he ends up with some custody after divorce you could possibly arrange for neutral visits/p.u.'s where a permanent restraining order would apply (I really don't know if there is a permanent but I suspect there is).
KUDOS for all of your efforts! Stay strong.

You need to speak to a family law attorney as soon as possible. I'm not sure what state you're in, but some states allow for limited scope representation, which means you may be able to majorly cut back on divorce fees.

Limited scope representation is a way for attorneys to offer their services on a less-broad basis. Instead of charging a retainer and taking on a case from start to finish, attorneys are now able to advise clients on how to proceed on a case-by-case basis. If a case is straight forward, an attorney may be able to guide a client through the paperwork and legal jargon without needing to represent the person for the entire duration of a case. Limited scope representation can help empower litigants in their cases by putting them in touch with someone knowledgeable, and because the attorney is offering a limited service, the associated fees will be lower.

You shouldn't have to support your child by yourself. It may save you money in the long run to talk to an attorney and establish some kind of support payment system.

I wish you the best!
Good luck,
Mary
stearns-law.com