Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: divorce timeline?

Stuck: I was divorced in 2009. Your Lawyer will talk to his Lawyer (if he has one) and they negotiate things like finances, the house, kid(s), if any. The Lawyer also has other clients to work with. I was told it would take a year to get to court and it did. My ex and his Lawyer stalled on the alimony so he would do better financially. Ex paid the bills in the meantime which was more than the alimony, so I don't know why he did it. He started paying the alimony shortly before the court date (a layoff also delayed payment). I got the alimony 9 mos. after he filed and had to go to the local Food Pantry since I was working very part time due to an injury and I also went to free church suppers nightly and took one meal home, also, for lunch because he only took me food shopping once. Remember, the Lawyer will call you or e-mail you (whatever arrangements you have made) when they have news. Don't utilize them to vent. They charge you for every e-mail, phone call, meeting with them and court time (round off the time) and, not to mention, the retainer, just to keep them on the job. If you are in dire straits financially, you should be receiving emergency alimony and/or child support ASAP. If you are in trouble, try the following: Food Pantry and the Salvation Army for emergency payment of utility bills and job training/unemployment office, subsidized day care, if needed, help from family and/or a roommate to help with rent or mortgage (a male roommate may cancel any alimony you have coming, depending upon the laws in your State - is considered cohabitation). Hope this helps. I was divorced in 2009 - am with someone else now, but not living with them.