Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Divorce finances

Summer: My ex dumped $600 a month into the church for months prior to the divorce trying to make it look like he had not much money. I made 5K with my part time job and was gifted 20K from family. He made 90K then. I got paperwork from the church addressed to both of us and made a copy of it and sent it to my Lawyer. After a couple of years of him taking me back to court over just 11K alimony and having to pay the Lawyer $1,200 in fees, I was lucky enough to receive a modest amount yearly from my father's Estate. It is better not to depend upon the ex spouse for anything. Our daughter and I learned that the hard way (she was 18 when he left). I was glad to get off the alimony. My Lawyer said it wasn't worth it cause I had to keep paying her yearly to defend what little I got from him. Alimony laws are tougher now and are more of a restorative nature mostly, depending upon the ages, condition and employability of the receiving spouse. I have a back injury and had Doctor's notes stating I could not work 40 hours/week and needed to change positions every 15 mins. I was married 21 years. We filed our own taxes in 2009, the year the divorce went to court and split the Economic Stimulus amount offered that year by the Govt. I had my own checking account and one credit card which was my own before the divorce happened. My parents had gotten divorced when I was a teen and I watch my mom hand over the cards to my Dad when he asked for them back in the 80s. So, that is my story. Best wishes to you and Happy Easter, everyone! For those who don't have much money this Easter, remember to shop at Dollar Stores and/or Thrift Shops for Easter items.

Re: Divorce finances

Yup, my X tried to buy the love of my kids and it kinda worked for him for awhile, but as the kids got older, they saw through his game. I just bit my lip and prayed my kids would not forget about me altogether. I made it a point to never bash my X to my kids. It payed off in the long run. My son moved away from him and wants nothing to do with him anymore and he moved in with me until he can make it on his own. My daughter is counting the days til she's 18 and can get away from him too. My advice is to 'be the better parent'. Money can't buy love. Worked for me. :) 'I wanted my kids happy no matter which parent they were with'.