Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BILL #7335 INTRODUCED MARCH 2014 CONTINUING CHILD SUPPORT AFTER THE AGE OF 18!

I have written our State Representatives as well as our State Senators about an ongoing problem in the State of Rhode Island regarding our children. After careful consideration they have agreed to help with the situation!

I HAVE DONE ALL I COULD LADIES TO GET THIS BILL/LAW INTRODUCED AND NOW NEED YOUR HELP! CONTINUE READING TO THE VERY END!

This past March Bill #7335 was introduced upon my request to the House of Representatives and also our State Senate. It is in a sense an amendment to an existing law which requires child support for the custodial parent while the child is in school and until the age of 18. Normally upon graduation the child support ends and the custodial Parent receives nothing though the child will still be living with that parent. It does not provide for college or any other necessities for the child. (17) States, 1/3 of our Country have in place some type of continued child support if the child goes on to college and is a full time student. This is what I have asked for our children. In some states child support continues until the age of 21 even if the child does not go to college. Some states recognize that a child of 18 cannot leave home and support themselves leaving the custodial parent paying support in its entirety.

Once a couple divorces the custodial parent 9 times out of 10 lives below the poverty level. I am sure you may know someone who is divorced and has custody of the children as well as how they struggle just to get by. The parent usually leaving is the Father and the person who had generated the main income for the family. The non-custodial Parent usually lives without concerns and any responsibility for the children. This was also my case when I divorced 8 years ago. We have struggled to have even the most simple of things. My oldest daughter graduated High school 4 yrs. ago and will be graduating from College this May with “distinction” as well as with honors in the field of chemistry with a minor in biology and psychology. All the loans were signed by me as well as any funds I could scrape up by selling my things. My ex-husband refused to help because the child support ended and he did not have to. He has bought a home, a new truck and takes 4 vacations a year, has a very large 401k and the list goes on and on.

I firmly believe that if a child and the custodial parent knew there would be help to further their education they would take advantage of making a better life for themselves. What is the outcome if a child does not continue their education, a job with no future and financial stability? Weather a child lives on campus or not, a home still needs to be provided as well as the bills paid when the child returns. My electric, food and heating bill is 3 times what my ex-husbands bills are as per his family court DR-6 forms.

I ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND TO ALSO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL STATE REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATOR! We need as many signatures of support to help get the bill passed! I do wish for not only my children but so many others to make a better life and have every opportunity to follow their dreams despite the lack of effort on the non-custodial parent’s side.
I do hope to hear from you and that you will help in my quest to better the children of this wonderful State of Rhode Island! If you have any ideas on how we may gather more signatures please feel free to let me know. PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH ALL THE OTHER WOMAN YOU KNOW! Have them contact our Reps. as well!!Just google your home town and add state Representative and then do it again and add state senator, you will then find somewhere on his/her sight to email him or call him/her.!You may do this for other towns as well!