Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temporary Custody

My son's father and I were never married. I allowed his father to sign the birth certificate. We have never gone to court for any kind of visitation because we've always been able to agree to a schedule. He does have a court order for child support, which he is behind on right now due to a job change. He's also verbally agreed to pay for half of daycare expenses, which I haven't received a dime for. He tells me today that he's getting temporary custody of a child that is his sister-in-laws (it is not his brother's biological child). He's going to the child support office to see if it will change his current order with our son. If he's taking temporary custody of a child that isn't his, will it affect the amount of child support he is to provide to our son?

Re: Temporary Custody

I believe that if there is a court order for child support then that should not change regardless of other child he decides to take care of. Any non-written or verbal agreements usually do not hold up in court. Since you do have a written court order of child support, I would think that you would be notified of any change or at least contacted in regards to any action taken to change it. KEEP all records of any payments he has and has NOT paid you so that you can take action to extract that money from him that he owes in child support. Do you have an attorney?

Re: Temporary Custody

I don't have an attorney. I haven't really felt the need to get one yet. I have records of the money he's fallen behind on, the times he's been late, the times he doesn't show up, when he doesn't call/text to let me know he's not coming, etc. I know the verbal agreement won't hold up in court but I guess that's what I get for trusting him.