Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unemployed ex husband

Mary: My ex filed for divorce. I got a Lawyer. He paid all the regular bills at to do with our home/living expenses after he moved out. We went into court, alimony was the issue, and the Lawyers talked to the Judge and the Judge sent us home because he was laid off. This was the first court appearance (not to finalize the divorce). Later, when he got another job, I got the alimony (by then the divorce process was further along). Remember, your husband still has to pay rent and other expenses (assuming he is not living with family) with his Unemployment check which would be much less than what he was previously making. My ex was laid off/fired from many jobs. He had me cut back on things like cable t.v. after he moved out, but he continued to pay the regular household bills after the layoff and did not tell the Lawyers he was doing this. Our daughter (then 18) and I, later learned not to depend on him for anything. He has Asperger's Autism. If you need assistance, try the following: the local Food Pantry, the Salvation Army for emergency payment of utility bills/help with budgeting, please get a Lawyer or Legal Aid for low income people or ask at the local Bar Association or local courthouse. In a marriage with money and/or assets, a Lawyer or Mediation is needed, it's time after two years.