Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: abandonment of separate property

Jennie: I live in the State of MA. Both Lawyers kicked my ex out after he filed. I suggested he hire a moving company, instead, he came for 2 1/2 months of weekends to take his stuff and used my washer and he glared at me. I thought he was here to visit his daughter, but he did not spend any time with her. He took all the nice stuff and left the junk. He later felt guilty about it. I had another lady's husband help take some of the stuff out and called a couple of guys who take metal away for free to take some metal items. I let him come down one last time after that and he did not want the few items left. My Lawyer had told me after two years of him not claiming it, that I could dispose of it. Talk to a Lawyer in your State. I know some people who had a policeman standing by while the spouse/family member got their stuff out. If you do not let him get his stuff, it could cause a lot of anger/problems/legal issues and if you are not using it, there are disposal costs. "Two wrongs don't make a right". Things like marital debt are handled by Lawyers or you can get Legal Aid since there is a restraining order against him or talk to someone at the local Bar Association doing free legal work.