Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need some advice

Enlightened: I have been divorced for five years. Our daughter was 18 when he left. He was laid off early in the divorce proceedings. He had her on his medical plan at work and when laid off, I got her on health insurance at college for students. Due to many layoffs before, during and after the divorce, I declinedmy Lawyer's advice that he pay her medical/dental co=pays. She had a college fund plus expenses set up by her grandparents and used that money for medical/dental co=pays. The only court order was for alimony and that did not go through until he found another job before the final court date (during the first court date, we were sent home by the Judge because he was collecting only Unemployment benefits even though it was the maximum amount). I pay my own Health, Dental and Eye Insurance which is nearly $400 a month. He paid for her Health Insurance until she graduated from college (when he was not laid off) and she got her own benefits. He lost her card (she never got it) and instead chose to fax proof of insurance to her when she was in the ER!. He paid all of the ordinary bills until the Alimony court order after both Lawyers kicked him out. I went to the local Food Pantry and he took me to a food warehouse once. He took me back to court nearly every year to fight the alimony which was tax deductible for him and only 11K per year. I had been working part time and have a back injury. I was able to get off the alimony after my Dad's Estate was settled and I receive modest amounts monthly from that. Our daughter's Grandma gave her her old car until she got out of college and bought her own. We learned not to depend upon him for anything. I only hear from when I leave a voicemail that one of my family members has died. He has plenty of Life Insurance on himself since he had been in the Military. His Lawyer told me to get low cost life insurance with SBLI which is enough to bury me. I gave him the Timeshare which he bought, which my Lawyer considers to be a liability.