Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discouraged and Defeated

I have to deal with my stbx having issues with alcohol .. 3 DUI's in one lifetime is 3 to many .. there have been other issues as well.

What I have learned and I'm still in process with the divorce is pick your battles. It costs less money and I do not pick up the phone every time I have a gripe or question. I wait for my atty to call me. I also am insistent that whatever contact the atty's have is appropriate to the case meaning I'm not paying for a 50$ (plus 250 an hour) lunch meeting about my case .. forget that!

Document, keep a timeline, my stbx .. misses his visitation. In the beginning for him it was about looking good now .. he has to much guilt and can't be bothered most of the time .. it's a hit and a miss on visitation. In fact if the kids don't call him .. he doesn't remember.

Do you have actual evidence or is this just your say so against his? At least the Judge I deal with .. he wants facts .. leave the emotions out of it .. if it brings drama to the court room it ****** him off big time. So stick to the facts and leave the other stuff out UNESS you have actual evidence .. your atty will know how best to handle the situation in terms of what is the judge like.

When I attend court I sit RIGHT UP FRONT .. you would be amazed as to what atty's will discuss right in front of you if they think they don't know you are paying attention .. I have learned a LOT about courtroom stuff and court is not what you see on TV either.

I have spent thousands of dollars and time .. some well spent some I see as wasted .. do yourself a favor and just try and let the system do the work .. court is not fast by any means.

We are here for you .. hugs L :)

I am separated and is struggling to pay rent. I am very angry with my stbx because we had started a project together and where we both contributed financially now that project is left completely on me and I don't have all the money to complete it. Based on this I think that I am going to have to start over financially by the time this project plus the divorce is over. We are not divorced yet and he does not contribute. Technically we are still married and he gives me nothing for the rent of bills-nothing.
God will take care of me.

Dear Phyllis,

Have you been in contact with an attorney? Your attorney, with help from God, will take care of you -- if you're separated it's possible your stbx should be paying you support. Yes, even before the divorce is final. Talk to someone who knows -- an attorney - don't rely on what your friends or family have said (not saying you did this, just cautioning against it).