Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: divorce, years later

Betty: My ex filed for divorce after 21 yrs. of marriage when our daughter was 18 and a full time college student. One the date the divorce agreement was to be looked at by the Judge, (there is a waiting period in my State before it is final of several months) he was trying to buy a house and they wanted to check my credit which is and was fine. I e-mailed my Lawyer looking for help, she e-mailed back that I was "to having nothing to do with this house". I have been divorced since 2009 and eventually he bought his own house (about a year ago) with no help from me (he has a great paying job, always did when not laid off). I got the cottage in the divorce for a variety of reasons. I don't know if this helps you at all or not. If I were in your situation, I would not help him with anything anymore, after all, he threatened you, made the Lawyers terrified and barely paid any child support. What has he done for you? Almost nothing. Maybe your two other boys should get a free consultation with a Lawyer if they are concerned about the situation. My Lawyer also told me not to involve myself with my ex's personal life following the divorce and I think that was good advice. You could seek help with your nearest Bar Association to see if anyone is doing free legal help. Nicole?

The best advice I have is to see an attorney. The first visit is usually free.
xo, Nicole

Thank you both for taking the time to try and help me. The situation is very involved. We have been divorced since 86, my "property settlement" was done 3 yrs prior to actual divorce. I never went to cour,period. The settle ment was under major duress(I am not afraid of him anymore). It is just that what little I did get put into the settlement he is ignoring!. It is so long ago, I cannot find anyone to even listen. He simply does whatever he wants!. The family business is a corp. I did that myself, and signed anything and everything because I did believe he would kill me. My portion of business was suppose to be divided equally btn my kids, not happening.
Thank you again