Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Out of state move restraining order bad lawyer

I'm really confused, my lawyer has pretty much left me hanging.
I am going through a divorce that has some complications.
My ex is living and dating his brother's wife. Has drinking, gambling and control/anger sexual abuse issues. There is a restraining order that has been renewed til Jan 2015. he was arrested three times, but never charged he plead guilty with no fining. He changed lawyers three times which made my legal costs extreme. My lawyer has not really supported or helped me, and is telling me I need to make a travel schedule for him to add to the separation
agreement. (removal)

The current agreement states he gets her from 10 am Saturday til 7:00 Sun once a month with me paying for travel out of the child support with time added to his next visit for any delay and has me driving to meet half way once I land, and is hard to adhere to due to the time constraints. Sunday at 7:00 p.m. would get me home after 1:00am Monday.. if I fly nonstop so it's not good for my daughter to be up that late and she would have school Monday... we are an hour from airport. so she would be home at 2:00 am Monday ?

I live over 4 hours away FLYING non-stop and do not make near the salary my soon to be ex does.
I was stay at home wife and mom for over 13 years. (our daughter is 9) . I was
ordered by my husband to be stay at home due to control and abuse. It took me 13 years to gain the strength to leave him, and has been really difficult. I am moving out of state to have family support as I have no family where I am located now and for safety.

I cant prove any of the abuse or multilevel addictions. :(

My daughter has seen daddy kissing auntie and doesn't like it, even asked dad to stop and his reply to her was, "why should I".
He totalled his car on a Saturday night hitting a tree, but I can't find the town it happened to see if there is a police report. I only have the insurance claim, but with the amount he drinks I know he was drinking. He also belongs to a mens group called the Sterling Institute of Relationship (I googled it after seeing him post on FB that it was a resurecction and his re-birth after attending a weekend event and it's a "cult".
He quit a six figure job to reduce child support. but now makes 70K. I make
less than 30K..

My lawyer says all the things he's done don't matter, How can they not?
I know he has a right to see his daughter, but how can I show a judge that
I am afraid of my ex. his issues? How can I write a travel schedule that will work?
What is fair for me to pay?
Can I ask he fly down to see her mostly?

I am pretty sure my lawyer just wants me to sign something so he isn't owed more money..
I've only paid him a small precent. as I was not working and now only have two part time jobs (50hours a week) minimal wages. I've paid 6-7K and owe 20+ due to my ex switching
lawyers 3 times.

Thank you

Re: Out of state move restraining order bad lawyer

Dear Confused, So sorry you find yourself in this mess. I know this is so difficult to manage. Your lawyer is probably looking at the fact that you won't be able to pay him or her. Have you tried legal aid? He still makes double what you are. Do you not qualify for spousal support? It hardly seems fair but so many have not been permitted to move the child away from the other parent. More than one lady on this forum was forced to move back to where the other parent lives. It sounds like his life style is going to catch up with him eventually and you probably won't have to worry about him any longer. You need to do everything you can to improve your financial base. Would he maybe agree to having holiday vacations and summer for visitation and not during the school year to keep the child from the hard schedule of flying back and forth. I would do anything it takes to just get out of there before he changes his mind and stops the move. Unfortunately you DO HAVE TO HAVE PROOF for the court he would do harm or put your child in a harmful situation. We wish you success in making this all come together.