Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sneaky

My brothers wife left him and their two children three years ago. She moved in with her mother. He kept the kids and stayed in the house so the kids could continue on with school. When his wife figured out that apartments were expensive she filed for emergency housing. She claimed that my brother left her. She was awarded full transitional assistance and a 3 bedroom townhouse. She then took on the kids part time. They still have not legally divorced and the children live 50/50, but most times more with my brother. He pays his ex here and there when she needs help but she still receives assistance and claims the children on her taxes. The kids are still at the school in the town where my brother lives. He is afraid to file divorce at the risk of having to pay back all the money that his ex has received claiming he is out of the picture when he is not. I want to hire him a lawyer, as he is a single dad with steep rent and expenses trying to keep his home for the kids. Anyone know anything about TA?

Re: Sneaky

SM: This is confusing, but I would recommend you and your brother go to a Family Lawyer. They handle things like finances and taxes when it comes to divorce and are best when there are children involved. I had one. I have been divorced since 2009.