Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is it possible to get temporary Custody to permanent without a lawyer

Yes currently jurisdiction is in TX with court date in May to revisit. Ex was charged with felony >1g CS, changed to misdemeanor and probation; lives with sex offender. Has no stable homelife for the boys. My son hired a lawyer, who charged him $5000 but did nothing to assist. He needs advice but cannot afford another one due to supporting his family. Tried to file for legal assistance, but to no avail. Is there a website that he can go to and get docs needed to file, and serve his ex? I am guessing from your statement he would just need to file a doc with IL court? Thank you for your assistance! Trying to give boys a stable life!

Re: Is it possible to get temporary Custody to permanent without a lawyer

Your husband should file a complaint with the local attorney's association regarding his lawyer's failure to assist, or even provide advice on how to assume custody.
Many lawyers will provide free consultations. He should speak with several to understand what needs to be done. He should be present at that May hearing and have documentation on how his home is the more stable, the schools are better, how he played a big role as a father pre-divorce and post-divorce.
I don't imagine there would be any severe repercussions if your husband just keeps his children home rather than send them to their mother. Chances are his ex doesn't have any money either.

I think you should try keeping a low profile in this situation rather than let his ex know of your involvement.