Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changes

Hello. I currently have 2 children. The oldest is 10. The oldest will be going to live with his father this summer. He will be living there permanently. I will be keeping my youngest. We decided that the oldest needs his father and it is the best place for him to go. There are many issues involved. My question is, I have had full custody of both children since they were born. The father has had to pay child support for both. Now that we will each have one how is child support affected? He is married now with other children. He has a great job. I am currently in school and unemployed. Will child support stop? Do we both have to pay? Or will he have to pay for my youngest. Thank you guys!!!

Re: Changes

Ire26 Talk to the Attorney who handled your divorce or to a Family Lawyer. Sometimes a consultation is free. If you cannot afford an Attorney, call your nearest Bar Association to see if anyone is doing free legal work. I would think your ex would not have to pay child support for a child not living with you, but would instead be switching to "restorative spousal support" until you are out of school and into a job. Check the spousal support laws and child support laws on-line for your State.

Re: Changes

My experience is that if you each have one of 2 support is neither pays.