Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Contemplating

Torn: Yes, I have been through the financial part of the divorce. Here's what I did, especially in the beginning: shopped at thrift shops for clothes and household items (still do), visited the local food pantry until the alimony came in (I could only work part time due to an injury). If money is really tight, you could get a roommate. A Judge may order that the house be sold, and, perhaps, you could get a smaller one with proceeds. Have you asked him to get help such as AA? Lawyers help with things like financial planning for the future. I recommend you get a free consultation with a Lawyer since you are thinking about divorce, and, if you decide to go through with it, perhaps your dad or other family member could pay the Lawyer. Remember, every e-mail, phone call and court time your Lawyer participates in you will be charged for so let them contact you unless it is urgent. Your husband probably doesn't want to leave probably because he either still loves you or he can't afford to leave. If he is abusive toward you, have the Lawyer get him out. Both Lawyers asked my ex to leave. If you file, DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE AND HAVE HIM LEAVE AS IT WILL GIVE HIM THE UPPER HAND IN THE DIVORCE. Best wishes.

Hi "Torn",

Sorry to hear that you're maybe separating, ending a marriage always sucks no matter what. I watched my brother go through a bad divorce, and he was worried about that too as a stay at home dad. the courts made her pay spousal support though so he was okay, also there is welfare. The most important thing is your happiness! I found this resource which could be helpful about bills. https://blog.thistoo.co/blog/2016/6/10/bills-after-divorce good luck with everything. To me, it sounds like you need to divorce.

One thing you need to know is that unless your spouse can prove that he contributed to the house he may have no claim to it (since it was a gift from your dad). In which case you don't need to move. You may be surprised at what he may wind up paying you in child support (if you have kids) and alimony (depending on how long you have been married). Years before my divorce I figured out I could make it on my own (would have had to cut back on some things, really did I need to pay for cable TV.)