Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Step daughter

I am looking for information on how to go about getting custody of my step daughter. She is here for the summer with I an her dad and she told us she wants to stay here. But her mom told her NO! There is no custody done through the courts we are court ordered to pay child support through Nevada but that is the only court case that has very been. Do we have to file in Nevada where she lives or can we file in Oregon?

Re: Step daughter

Custody issues can be tricky. Here is my experience. 2nd stepson wanted to come live with us when he turned 13. Bio Mom said No even though she had always told him he could live with Dad at that age if he wanted. We already had 1st stepson living with us due to the fact that he was failing in the school system where she lived. We quit paying any child support at that time since each of them had custody of one. I know the local Judge and talked to him about getting custody of #2. What I found out was A) even though we always believed a child could decide which parent they lived with at the age of 13 that was not true. B) we would have to prove she was a unfit parent in order to change custody (which is very hard to do). What we finally did to make her agree to letting him come live with us was convince her we would not make her pay child support to us even though we had both kids. It was more important to us the the kids be in a healthier home then the financial end of things. It made me sad to know that my kid (stepson) knew that this was what his bio-mom cared about.