Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Credit Cards Not Being Paid By EX

My ex received 1/2 of the credit cards and I the other half. It was a fair split.

Three years later I try to get a loan and it was brought to my attention that one of the credit cards is showing up on my credit report as delinquent and has been for some time now. He is 3 months without a payment and years of late payment and not payments. Plus he keeps using it which keeps it at its maximum.

I've tried to dispute through credit bureau to learn that the credit card holders agreement that was signed by both us (him primary holder) supersedes the divorce decree meaning that I am still liable so they will not take me off as a secondary card signer nor will they take off my credit report.

I asked Ex if he would transfer the balance to another card so that we can close this account. He said no and that he would use it how he sees fit. Also, that he will continue to treat this card in the manner he is so that my credit will always reflect the bad credit.

I consider this slander and was wondering if anyone has encountered such and if so do you have any advice.

Re: Credit Cards Not Being Paid By EX

Michelle: If this credit stuff was in the divorce agreement in writing, go back to your Lawyer, if you had one, or get one. (If the divorce agreement was okayed by a Judge and he has violated it.) I brought my credit report to my Lawyer after the divorce because he hadn't closed some joint accounts he'd opened and I had to bring it to her attention. Best wishes.