Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visits with my ex and his family whom my kids barely know

My ex and I divorced a year ago. He was diagnosed as bipolar and severely depressed Before he left, leaving no new address - he had been traveling a lot with his job. Our children were toddlers - so when he moved out, it didnt seem all that different to them.

Since then - he has moved 3 more times, still has never given me an address - and he sees the children maybe once a month, usually when he has to be in our area anyway.

I have encouraged him to visit as often as he wants; he and his family are invited for birthdays and holidays- although they refuse to come. He spent the night with us on Christmas Eve so he could be with the children on Christmas morning.

But a month will go by and he never calls or face times with the children, who are now 3 and 5.

Bottom line - they barely know him.

Months ago - he and his mother took the children to the movies and to dinner, with me nearby because they don't see her for months at a time, either.

My ex has moved 2 hours away with his mother and they are upset with me because I won't allow them to take the children anywhere without me. I am willing to pay my own way and hang back and let them have their time together - but I'm not willing to send my children off with people they barely know to a home they've never seen 2 hours away from me.

We did our own divorce - so there's no legal custody decision.

Since he is almost always unemployed - he pays almost no child support - barely $100/month for both kids - and only infrequently.

I have not made an issue of this, nor is it a factor in my refusal to allow him to take the children without me.

Anyone have any advice?

Re: Visits with my ex and his family whom my kids barely know

Kathy: I dated someone who was bipolar after my divorce. They are very irratic if off meds. or if the meds. aren't working and want to move, can't hold a job, etc., so I hope he gets on disability. My advice is to not subject the kids to this lifestyle if he's not taking care of his illness and to know that the child support, too, will be irratic and to shop at thrift shops for the kid(s) if you need to when not getting child support.