Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: is it taking anyone as long as me to get to court for support

Lisa: It takes time to get a court date. It was a year before the divorce went to court for the final time. My Lawyer said it would take that long. The courts are busy. If he has a Lawyer, the Lawyer will push for you to go back to work if you are able. Alimony laws in many States have changed to a restorative nature (to help you "get back on your feet", just temporary). If you have been married for many years like I have and are injured/disabled somewhat or fully, you would be entitled to long time alimony. They would also expect you to seek social security disability, too. My ex did not give me any money to help for nine months and instead paid all the ordinary bills after having moved out which was more than the alimony! I went to the local and food pantry. I shop at thrift shops mostly for clothes. I went to free church suppers. I did not seek public assistance of any kind - worked part time/somewhat injured. Many women are trained to take care of/do errands for the elderly or to work in medical offices. Check with your local unemployment office about that if you are able to work. See about voucher day care if you have kids (Government help paying for day care) and/or the YMCA and Boys and Girls Clubs of America for school aged child care or whatever you have in your area. If there is a women's services center in your area, I would suggest contacting them. The child support laws are strict in most States and you should be able to get that if you have kids unless he works "under the table", then they can't garnish his wages and it will be more difficult to collect from him. Research the support laws on line in your State. Where I live, in MA, they withhold various licenses if the ex doesn't pay child support, there's jail time and the ex gets their tax refund, if any, intercepted and sent to the spouse needing it.