Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
He won't move his stuff out

Hi,
I'm asking for help about how to get him to move his things out of the house.

Divorce is final about a year ago, I was awarded the house, although his name is still on mortgage due to my inability to fully qualify on my own. A bit worried that he might somehow screw with me if I force this issue with the vehicles and tools.

He still has a two car garage full of machine tools and one vehicle, outside there is a motorhome as well.
If I go ahead and give him official 45 day notice to move it, and he does not, then what can I do? I don't have any extra money for attorney fees, as I am a student at this time.

Can I push his truck into the street? Can I sell his tools?
I appreciate any help and advice on this!

This is in Washington State by the way.
Thank you

Re: He won't move his stuff out

dq: I live in MA. My ex left things not fit for a yard sale and moved across the country (he took the good/irreplaceable stuff/all his, and left broken/useless/very used items). My Lawyer told me after two years I could dispose of the stuff. I sold some stuff he gave me as gifts. Call the nearest Bar Association and see if there is anyone providing free legal help or call your nearest women's services center to see if they have a Lawyer/referral for low income women. I would also contact the people in Town/City Government where you live and ask what the procedure is for abandoned property. My ex took 2 1/2 months to move his stuff in his car to storage and I called him and told him what the stuff was that should have been removed by him (I called a metal guy for the rusty tools and others/hauling service got the call for the rest). I also called for him to take a look when he was visiting the area and he came - didn't want the stuff. I also mailed him some items.