Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
He wants spousal support and he's a registered sex offender

I filed for divorce 3.5yrs ago. Married for less that 14yrs. After separation he was convicted and plead guilty and sentenced to a crime against a child and is a registered sex offender now. His income has dropped since we separated and he is not employeable since his background is training children in basketball. I have to go to court and fight spousal support. Either I get a judge that looks at his crime as his problem or I get a judge that only looks at the current income. I'm risking everything and don't know what I can do to convince a judge that his crime is not my fault so I shouldn't have to pay him spousal support.
Please help!

Re: He wants spousal support and he's a registered sex offender

Tracy: You need a Lawyer for this who practices Law in your State (hopefully he is living in the same State also).

Re: He wants spousal support and he's a registered sex offender

I do have a lawyer and yes we are still in same state. My lawyer stated the spousal support laws are so vague that its left up to the judges discretion. I live in California and am not sure if that's true or how I find out what the laws state to stop me having to pay for him now that he is unemployable