Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to stay strong

Hi All, I was on this forum about 4 yrs ago. I have had a rocky marriage from the beginning. I have been married over 40 yrs now. I have actually filed for divorce three times in those 40 yrs but never completed the process. My husband has started a divorce once about 4 yrs ago but withdrew it almost immediately. Once again about a month ago he filed again. I really need to end this marriage. I am trying to stay strong and take care of all the many things I need to do. I have periods when I am really strong but then a deep sadness comes over me. I really don't think I still love my husband at all. I know I am just afraid as I have been with him over two thirds of my life now. We both haven't been good spouses. He is very controlling and emotionally abusive. I have been resentful and angry most of the time. I treat him in a very passive aggressive way. I really don't see this changing ever. We have a lot of assets to sort out and he won't be fair. Thank God I live in a community property state. I feel like I am going into a war. We are still living together. Any tips to staying the course? Thank you.

Re: Trying to stay strong

Separate your emotions from your logic. Talk to a family lawyer or a counsellor who will keep you rational and give you the strategy you need to either stay in the marriage or get out. Read this blog it is very helpful: http://www.ylaw.ca/blog-resources/best-vancouver-legal-advice-divorce-family-lawyers/

Re: Trying to stay strong

Hi,

I am going to through a very similar situation. I see that you posted this a while ago and was wondering how it's going.

I have been with my husband almost half my life. 17 years but we just got married two years ago.

I've know from the beginning that we aren't meant for each other. We just so different. I love him and he is my best friend. But I know that we should have ended this so long ago, I thought getting married might stop all this uncertainty that he has but it didn't.

He moved in the the guest room for two weeks and then we were fighting and I told him that he needs to leave the house. He has been gone now for a week and a half.

I miss him and I can't figure out how to stay strong and get myself to move past this. Normally I would talk to him when I am going through something hard. I want to ask him to come back 17 years is a long time to just walk away from. But I know I can't.