Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hidden wages

My husband hid his salary for many years. Can I recoup my portion in a divorce? I have documentation proving he lied about his finances. My ex has no idea I have the documents, so he is digging in, confident that I can't prove otherwise. I told my lawyer that if he knew about the proof I have, he may become less confident and more eager to settle more generously and quickly which would cut down on my legal bills, but my lawyer seems to ignore my suggestion, and just moves along with asking for financials, etc. I only have about $20,000 left in my savings, and I told my lawyer that I fear if I run out of funds, I will be left having to accept whatever my ex offers.

Re: Hidden wages

Generally your divorce settlement amount would be based on what he's claiming on his taxes. For you to try to prove that he has a lot more money could get very expensive because there's a likelihood that you'll need to get a forensic accountant.

My advice, become self-sufficient on your own rather than bothering to fight with your ex over money. I'm not sure if you're talking about child support or alimony here but if its alimony, its likely to be termed anyway and unless you're physically unable to work, the court will expect you to be taking care of your own finances as a responsible adult.

Besides, its very empowering and a much mentally healthier to be financially self-sufficient, you'll be glad you did it.