Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I don't think I'm married

My ex and I were apparently common law married three years ago, but together for 5. He filed for a divorce but we never got a marriage license or signed anything but file our taxes jointly. I filed my taxes with h&r block this year and I was told that if we haven't lived in the same house hold for 12 months that in the state of Texas we're no longer considered "married". I filled jointly with my hopefully soon to be new husband this year and our taxes were accepted. My thing is I don't understand why I need to go through this "divorce thing" if I NEVER married him or NEVER agreed to marrying him. If I'm married why was I able to file jointly with someone else. I can't find and documentation saying I'm married to my ex. I've made accounts to do background checks and everything. I'm trying to get married because my spouse is in the military and we have a child together. Can anyone help me!?

Re: I don't think I'm married

Kay: I would research the laws in your State on line and/or talk to a Lawyer. Lawyers can help with things like taxes.