Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Morgage Company won"t discuss mortgage

In 2015 my now ex-husband abandoned me and son while we were facing foreclosure.
I was completing internship and working part time. He packed his things at night while I was away at work. I arrived home from work to find him moving out. He moved to another state and a few weeks later began texting that he wanted to return home to his family. "What freaking family?"
Meanwhile, I decisively negotiated an extended internship placement with the university and took on a full time job in addition to the part time job at night. I soon found a bankruptcy lawyer and filed a chapter 13 to keep my home.

I filed for divorce and in the marriage settlement agreement my ex quit- claimed the deed and his interest to me. He signed and notorized the documents and mailed them to me and than disappeared. I made attempts to contact him but the phone was disconnected. I sent letter to the address in the state where he said he lived but got no response. I did not hear from him about 6 months later (a few months after the chapter 13 was discharged). He sent a text message informing me he was selling "his" home. The next day I was contacted by a realtor who asked me to make the home available for a walk-through to ensure accurate pricing. I told her my home was not for sale and hung up. The divorce was finalized in October 2016 and he did not appear at the final hearing. The terms of the settlement agreement were honored.

Here lies my problem.
When we bought our home in 2008, he was adamant that I did not use my income to finance the home because (in his words) "a husband is suppose to buy his wife a home." To avoid friction I let it be and he only financed the mortgage. In 2013 we modified the loan and my income was used for the modification.

Since the divorce was finalized the mortgage company has refused to discuss the mortgage with me even though the chapter 13 is in my name only and I alone am paying the mortgage. They have told me that "the client" placed a password on the account with instructed that the password is given before any interaction regarding the mortgage. My ex has changed his phone number and I have not been able to contact him.
I don't know what do>

Re: Morgage Company won"t discuss mortgage

Zee: Something like this should have been in the divorce agreement by a Lawyer. Usually when a couple divorces the home is sold. Talk to a Lawyer to see if there is anything you can do. You also have to ask yourself if you can afford to maintain a home.