Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overnight Visitation

Is there any research that shows it is better for the kids to not have overnights during the school year? I'm trying to develop a parenting time agreement and I'm torn about whether or not I should agree to this. I feel the kids need a set routine and schedule during the school year but my soon to be ex doesn't agree. Any advice?

Re: Overnight Visitation

Leslie: I know someone whose ex has liberal visitation rights/overnights. The kids sometimes enjoy the company of their Dad. They have had to become very organized to make it work. The kids sometimes take their time in the morning. Mine did, also, and was late for school.

None that is credible.

Why don't you spend your energy figuring out a parenting plan that gives them equal time with both you and your ex and makes it a set routine? Equal parenting time is best for kids.

Let's start with your assumption being true. (It's not)

The kids will stay with your ex-husband during the school year and you will be allowed overnight visitation during the summer only, correct?

Oh? That isn't what you meant? Why not?

Examine your own motives here. Is it really what is best for the kids, or do you want to stick it to your ex?

There is lots of evidence that shows women get bigger support payouts when they keep the kiddos. While it wasn't the main reason I argued and won primary custody, it was in the back of my mind. But obviously, you never want to admit that to the judge. Research the support formulas for states in your area. More of his money in your pocket is of course better for the kids, right?