Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

Long story short - married 17 years (unhappily for majority) We have 2 children (16 and 11). Lived in separate bedrooms (his choice) for years! I want a divorce and he refuses - threatening to make my life miserable, that I don't know how vindictive he can me, he'll quit his job, I'm an unfit mother, etc. I told him I won't ask for alimony or child support and request 50/50 custody. No go on his part. He will be needed chemo soon for chronic leukemia which I said I will take him. He makes a heck of a lot more money than I do but he will claim disability and I would have to pay him alimony and child support. I just don't know what to do??

Re: Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

I am sorry for that.. Have you ever visited a lawyer already?

I have touched base with a lawyer. She states in order for me to prove he can still work, I would have to get an independent doctor to "prove" he is still capable of working and that its usually up to the judge's mood that day for alimony and child support. etc. Husband's job is mostly a sitdown computer work but my husband is a known liar and somewhat of a drama queen

Ann: Soon-to-be ex helped for a while (long story short) then took me back to court every 1 1/2 years to try to end the alimony. Since your husband is ill and you anticipate poor behavior from him, I would not depend on him for anything. I shop/shopped at thrift shops and went to the food pantry and ate a free church suppers. Get whatever help you need after the court date if you don't get what you want in court.