Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ex saying I can't work nights

I had to flee my ex husband in September 2015 due to domestic abuse. I never stopped ex seeing the 3 kids and let him have them whenever he wanted. He only wanted to see them for an hour a week and take them to work on Sunday. I now have an ex partner and are moving in together. My ex is homeless and currently lives with his parents about 150 miles away. We are moving 50 miles away and he has told me he will take me to court if I work nights and leave the kids at night I'll be working 4 nights a week and off the rest of the week. He gives me £100 a month. Can he stop me working nights he is self employed and earns about 8,000 A year. I was working term time and school hours only but doesn't bring in enough money. Does he have a case and can he stop me working nights the kids will be looked after by my partner

Re: Ex saying I can't work nights

I was told that a divorce shouldn't stop me from working. Just get a reliable babysitter (family member, if possible) for when you are working nights. Are you divorced yet? Because in your divorce agreement it should state that you are fully responsible for the kids when they are with you, that would include you paying for a babysitter if you have to be out periodically. I wouldn't say he has a case against you at all on this but I am not a lawyer.

You say he is skinny flint broke? So would he hire a lawyer to fight you on this issue? If he's that broke, I doubt it. Just do what's best for the kids, which is likely to have one parent working and providing a safe home. You can't go wrong if you think and act for the children first before anything else.

Angie, you don't need your ex bothering you about your work schedule. Put him in his place. File a Restraining Order. Just go to your police station. They will advise you. Just say the truth. How you think he may hurt you. How he looks at you in a menacing manner. You feel threatened by him. Keep it general and nothing that can be disproven, i.e., he punched me in the face. The restraining order is almost automatic and will ruin his life. He will be consumed by it and will leave you alone.

Angie555: A Family Lawyer would be a good person to answer this question.