Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
File petetion but sounds fishy

After 17 yrs of being physically & mentally abused I decided to go for divorce. My first attempt was to do things amicably so I informed him my plan. We have 3 special need kids & I work in a public school part time . He refused to believe that he needs spilt assests 50-50 so we went to a mediator to confirm. He’s not willing to pay 50-50 ( he feels I don’t deserve it coz I did nothing for kids ) but ready to pay for kids needs. He used to work in small start up software company & while I was thinking of filing he announced that he was laid off from his work ( showed proof) . Now he’s abusing me & keeps asking me when I m filing the petetion. I was planning to hold things back since he doesn’t have a job I can’t spend much on lawyer at this point since I m only one with job but now This sounds very fishy on why he’s forcing me all of a sudden. We both have joint checking account but he didn’t put my name on the savings where we have most of the $$. I m confused & don’t know what to do . We are in CA

Re: File petetion but sounds fishy

You need a Lawyer ASAP. Family Lawyers are best when kids are involved. My ex was also laid off (several times) from Software jobs. Our daughter was 18 at the time he filed and I was working very part time due to an injury. The Judge talked to the Attorneys briefly during our first visit to court and sent us all home before we even left the waiting room of the court because he had just gotten laid off and didn't have money to pay me. It seems like your situation is difficult because you have several special needs kids. My Lawyer told us to close joint accounts. Most people would tell you to split the money with him, but ask a Lawyer - especially if you are thinking things are "fishy". Best wishes.