Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do I get half of our assets when I leave?

My husband's go to response in any kind of confrontation is to make me feel that I dont bring anything to our relationship.

He works, I work. He earns, I earn.
Altho he earns more than me.

I work for a non profit and even tho I am equally brilliant and put in the same hours, I get paid less and I am okay with that.

When I express that I bring other things to our marriage - not just money - I am dismissed. What I do is made insignificant.
He is a good cook and he does help with certain things. So, to him, he does half of home stuff so I am not even a home maker.

When I ask him for anything - understanding, compassion, correcting his own behaviour, I am made to feel that I have no right to ask for anything as I dont do anything for him.

As I am considering divorce, I know that he will fight me tooth and nail to give me half of our assets. He has already told me that he feels that half is not a fair division as he earns more than me. According to him, I spend more.

Did anyone here deal with a husband who made them feel they didnt bring anything to the table. Who made them feel they didnt deserve half of their assets?

How did you resolve that in your own head. I think that has to be resolved first before I fight the legal battle.

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you

Re: Do I get half of our assets when I leave?

I encountered the same thing with my ex. He made more than I did but we still split all the bills while married. That was his decision and so when it came time to talk about divorce, he would tell me that I wouldn’t survive on my own with my earnings. I don’t know much about the legal aspect but I know from others that you are entitled to half of all assets. Luckily, we agreed on everything. Not sure this response is helpful but hopefully you can agree to things and make it an easy process.