Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trout fishing question

The 4th. Sat. of April is opening in reclaimed Trout ponds. Check the 2007 fishing digest ! You can fish for trout in other waters - again check the rule book.

Re: Re: Trout fishing question

So then this begs the next quetion......has anything been stocked????

Re: Re: Re: Trout fishing question

Not much gets stocked until the water is a little warmer from what I've seen in the past.

If you're out on opening day... you'll easily find the typical hotspots... just look for the overabundance of people near an underabundance of open water. LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trout fishing question

In NH most of the stocked fish in Salmon and Trout (Winni/Squam etc) lakes are undersized and planned for catching later or the following year. There are plenty of 2,3 4 year and older "holdover" fish that we catch.

Have fun all on the Opening Day, I'll be sitiing on the side until we can get the boat in. Not ready anyhow, have to get a radio and antenna on the boat, was my winter project but everything still sits in the boxes. Otherwise all set and waiting.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trout fishing question

John is right. The lakes considered Trout/Salmon lakes are planned and managed for these types of fish. That is Lake trout and Salmon, though there may be and often is other species such as rainbow trout, brook trout, and browns. There is a list in the rule book that identifies these bodies of water and a section that explains the special rules.

Trout Ponds are designated locations (look at the list in the NH rule book) that are stocked once or more times a year with less of an expectation that there will be holdover fish. These are usually ponds and small lakes that have been reclaimed as they may have had trouble sustaining a species of fish other than one that is stocked / replenished every year. I hate the term but these ponds are more of a put in / take out location.

Now for suggestions on where to go, rivers and streams can be fished year round and can offer some nice stocked trout fishing and holdovers do exist. Do check the rule book still though as some locations are fly fishing only, off limits, etc. It is awesome fly fishing for them as bugs begin to hatch soon. I'm going to teach my son how to fly fish this year and where we will start.

BTW: here is a link to the 2007 digest / rule book:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/Fishing_PDFs/FW_Fishing_Digest_07.pdf

-Brian