(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: help

Hahaha

Sounds like I shoulda headed your way after I left my cousins house...

No need to hook up an external speaker unless you find you can't hear the built in one. May become an issue while the strippers are on board playing their loud music, but otherwise the built in speaker will be fine.

The GPS input is only if you want to be able to transmit your exact co-ordinates automatically during a mayday OR if you want to send/recieve coordinates of people you're talking to on the radio. (In order for the latter to happen, the other user has to be set up with NMEA gps/radio connections as well.) Mine has this same thing and I opted not to hook it up yet. If I were to be on the ocean, I'd connect it in hopes the Coast Guard would save my butt quicker. LOL

However, don't cut these wires off. Just coil them up and maybe some day you'll use them.

Good luck bud.

Re: Re: help

Yes I wou;d have loved to see some help pull up, I'll grunt my way through it, not so bad as I thought.

That's kinda what I thought.

Working on mounting the antenna now, would you believe with a boat as big as mine there are very few ideal locations to mount it without being in the way of riggers, rod holders, board mast and lines,etc.

I think if I mount it on the rail behind where I put my net (or where ya supposed to put it, LOL) it will work fine and be out of the way. Only problem and I'm not sure it is, the antenna will be about 8" away from the aluminum frame for my Bimini top, not sure if it will cause any inteference ???????? Actually this is about the only good place to mount it. I think I should have got the stainless steel swivel bracket, can't return this (hard plastic) one so I'll have to try it

Grayghost told me about a good connector for the antenna cable end, I think you mentioned it too, where do I get it, Radio Shack ????

Thanks,

John S.
Hoping to "get er ready" before the ice is gone.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hahaha

Sounds like I shoulda headed your way after I left my cousins house...

No need to hook up an external speaker unless you find you can't hear the built in one. May become an issue while the strippers are on board playing their loud music, but otherwise the built in speaker will be fine.

The GPS input is only if you want to be able to transmit your exact co-ordinates automatically during a mayday OR if you want to send/recieve coordinates of people you're talking to on the radio. (In order for the latter to happen, the other user has to be set up with NMEA gps/radio connections as well.) Mine has this same thing and I opted not to hook it up yet. If I were to be on the ocean, I'd connect it in hopes the Coast Guard would save my butt quicker. LOL

However, don't cut these wires off. Just coil them up and maybe some day you'll use them.

Good luck bud.

Re: Re: Re: help

Yeah, Radio Shack is where I got my connections. They have solder and solderless ones in stock (solderless slips over the cable and a screw pierces the exterior). I am using a solderless type and have had no problems with radio clarity. Have talked to Winnisquam, Squam and even Newfound once with this set up from Winni.

So, the antenna doesn't interfere with the use of the canvas? And you'll still be able to lower the antenna to get under the bridge, right? Just checking...

Re: Re: Re: Re: help

I thought I remebered you saying something about the connectors, I'll go to the Shack aftr I mount the antenna..

Everything will work fine with it mounted there, just have to run the coax under the boat and back up.

Needed some steel plates and some stainless hardware
to mount it on my square boat rails, went to the hardware store and ****ed if they didn't have everything I needed to mount it, going to put it all on now.

Thanks for the advice,

John S.

Replying to:

Yeah, Radio Shack is where I got my connections. They have solder and solderless ones in stock (solderless slips over the cable and a screw pierces the exterior). I am using a solderless type and have had no problems with radio clarity. Have talked to Winnisquam, Squam and even Newfound once with this set up from Winni.

So, the antenna doesn't interfere with the use of the canvas? And you'll still be able to lower the antenna to get under the bridge, right? Just checking...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help

Anntena mounting came out better than I had hoped but getting the coax over to the other side may be a major
job, allot of ideas but the best one is the toughest naturaly.

John S.

Replying to:

I thought I remebered you saying something about the connectors, I'll go to the Shack aftr I mount the antenna..

Everything will work fine with it mounted there, just have to run the coax under the boat and back up.

Needed some steel plates and some stainless hardware
to mount it on my square boat rails, went to the hardware store and ****ed if they didn't have everything I needed to mount it, going to put it all on now.

Thanks for the advice,

John S.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help

John as slipnot has said just coil those wire together and your good to go I have the same radio as you have I like mine.I'm still waiting for the ground to dry out a little more before I can get my Girl out.I'm hopeing this week.Good luck if you make it out this weekend.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help

Erin,

I thought ahead and pulled her out of my side drive a month ago and put her in front of my garage and that's were she set until yestertay. Took the cover off, left all the seat canvas on for now and got started yesterday. Not a hell of a lot to do ut I'm not so agile as I used to be so it's going to be a little tough. She sits a little high out of the water on the trailer so climbing in and out is a chore in itself, LOL..

I will do just that with the extra wires, I doubt very much that boat will ever see anything other than out NH Lakes, great feature if you go offshore and maybe the Great Lakes, etc..

I'l be all dressed and ready to go by the weekend, but no place to go.

John S.