Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

I think it was '87. I know it was in that time period because I came over from Brattleboro for two weeks to fish Winni.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Well I was building my home and was to start excavation.

Back to fishing....

Roger-

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

It does ice out after Winni and last year I think it was close to two weeks, I'll talk to a few Sqaum guys and see what they say.

I'll say this, it seems tje guys on Winni are fishing 2 weeks earlier and it's not Ice Out yet, some areas open up pretty good and they can fish. Squam opens up good but you cant hget to it the mouth of the channel to the big lake is where all the big ice flows go as the water is going out. Last year we just barely got out and my biggest fear was that the ice would flow and block us off.

I know some people use the ramp at Squam Lakes Assoc. and that will let you get on the big lake long before the channel mouth opens up. They say you have to "know someone" to use it, but I don't know and I don't know anyone.

So I just waited and in the meantime a few guys were nice enough to invite me out on Winni, Salty and Adrien, thanks guys. This year I have a trailer and a dock on Winni until May 20th, SO I'M HOPING FOR THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

You wont find a nicer bunch of guys than on this web site, I've made more new friends (really good friends too) in 4 years from this web site than I have the past 60 years.

Welcome aboard,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Lets see....it snowed in May of 1987....about 18" if I recall....

Thats the last I remember.

Roger-

Hey does Squam ice out a week or two after wini?

You probably already have this link, John, but here is the old Squam Lake ice out dates.

http://www.squamboats.com/pdf/iceoutdates.pdf

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Thanks, actually I didn't have it.

Also I lost allot of stuff when my HD crasshed, does anyone have the dept of Dams etc. web page ???? It gives lake depths and dam info, etc.

John S.

Replying to:

You probably already have this link, John, but here is the old Squam Lake ice out dates.

Thanks again Tom,

Now if we can get a history for winni, we will all know what we need to know.

How about it Gus, your the man.

John S.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Hey John
You knew you had me save this link on my computer for a reason, didn't you...
At least I think this is the one you're looking for?

http://www.des.state.nh.us/rti_home/station_information_display.asp?ID=SQLNH&Name=Squam+Lake

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

That's the one, your a life saver, I gave the guy such a hard time last year about lake levels he would never give the link to me again, LOL.

You ca get Winni and other Lakes on it too.

Thanks again,

John S.

Replying to:

Hey John
You knew you had me save this link on my computer for a reason, didn't you...
At least I think this is the one you're looking for?

http://www.des.state.nh.us/rti_home/station_information_display.asp?ID=SQLNH&Name=Squam+Lake

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

This graph Winni Ice Out
was generated from data from NE Ice Out

Hey Big John, Was talking to my Enviormental Science teacher today at school, he has logs from when his father was the fisheries biologist on Squam in the 40's 50's he said he was going to dig them out for me so that i could see what the lake was like way back then I'll let ya know when i get them sounds like it could be some pretty interesting reading. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North Who's going nuts waiting for Ice-Out UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

I'd be interested, thanks.

John S.

Replying to:

Hey Big John, Was talking to my Enviormental Science teacher today at school, he has logs from when his father was the fisheries biologist on Squam in the 40's 50's he said he was going to dig them out for me so that i could see what the lake was like way back then I'll let ya know when i get them sounds like it could be some pretty interesting reading. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North Who's going nuts waiting for Ice-Out UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks, I knew we could count on you. Npw hpw the hell do you interpet it, LOL.

John S.

Replying to:

This graph Winni Ice Out
was generated from data from NE Ice Out

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

The graph shows Ice Out date for years 1880 to 2004 with a linear trend line running through the middle

John,

So I guess I wan't imagining things. I am glad you explained it to me-about the ice blocking the mouth to Big Squam. I agree that this site has a great group that is willing to help in any way they can.

I attended the downrigger event last night and found Travis and Adrian very informative and truly excited about what they are doing.

Thanks Again,

Roger-

Excited????????? You should go on a Charter with one of them, then You'll see excited Both very Passionate about what they love doing Take CAre God Bless LOL Dave From up NOrth

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

i see the 2007 okuma magda's have a baitrunner feature called " auto trip" . not exactly sure how it works but i think it's a freespool with a more adjustable separate drag. might be good for drifting?

Re: early season set ups

So it's longer leaders in the Spring and shorten them up as the fish go deeper? How long in the spring? I've always run 100ft year round, never knew there was a difference.

Re: Re: early season set ups

I run mine 100' all season, especialy the lead core set ups so I can use them on my downriggers too if needed without attaching thje release to lead core. Not sure I explained that correctly ????

There is sort of a formula, depth Vs line out, but I don't remember what it is, I'm sure someone will speak up.

By the way, downloading the software upgrades from Lowrance is a snap, I even I did it and it mtself. It install itself when you put the smart card in the unit and power up.

All directions are on the download page for your unit, you can also sign up for future downloads automaticaly to come to you by e mail.

John S.

Replying to:

So it's longer leaders in the Spring and shorten them up as the fish go deeper? How long in the spring? I've always run 100ft year round, never knew there was a difference.

Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Oops, you asked about leader, I was talking about the main line and/or mono after lead core to your leader.
Sorry about that.

I think most people run the leadre the same, about 8 or 10 feet all season, with a "good" barrel swivel connecting the two, I do anyhow.

John S.

Replying to:

I run mine 100' all season, especialy the lead core set ups so I can use them on my downriggers too if needed without attaching thje release to lead core. Not sure I explained that correctly ????

There is sort of a formula, depth Vs line out, but I don't remember what it is, I'm sure someone will speak up.

By the way, downloading the software upgrades from Lowrance is a snap, I even I did it and it mtself. It install itself when you put the smart card in the unit and power up.

All directions are on the download page for your unit, you can also sign up for future downloads automaticaly to come to you by e mail.

John S.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

You answered it correctly, I worded it wrong. I meant the mono pc between the leader and the lead core. I run about 100 ft also and never bother to change it. I thought I had seeen where some people varied that based on the season, thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Slipknpot, what's the formula you guys use ???

John S.

Replying to:

You answered it correctly, I worded it wrong. I meant the mono pc between the leader and the lead core. I run about 100 ft also and never bother to change it. I thought I had seeen where some people varied that based on the season, thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

The rule you're thinking of is the 100' rule. This rule kinda goes for downriggers, but you can adapt it for leadcore... As far as leadcore goes though, Adrien answered that above when he says he cuts his mono line down, the more colors of lead he puts out, to speed up the landing of a fish and give it less time to shake off.

For downrigging figure that you're always putting 100' of line out. (Lets make up some numbers...) Early season you drop the ball 10' so you put the lure 90' behind the ball. Later in the season (when the fish go deep) your ball is down 50' so you put the lure back 50' behind the ball. This "rule" kind of takes into consideration fish being "shy" of the boat and therefore you're keeping the lure far enough away from the noise.

This is by no means the "catch-all rule". In fact, I don't know of anyone that posts to this board that follows it exactly. Its just something to start by. You have to see what the fish are like on a given day on a given body of water.
For example, on Winni the first week of May, you might catch a salmon right on top, only 10' behind the boat... but a few weeks later (second day of the derby and for a while after that) you're gonna find that the fish are much more sensitive to boat traffic and you'll need to keep your lure farther back to catch a majority of the fish. Point being, you have to pay attention to the fishes surroundings and judge how "shy" they are.
Also, if you fish the vertical or horizontal spinners like has been discussed lately, you're not really using them effectively if your lure is a hundred feet behind the things. By the time the lure gets to where the fish saw the spinner action they'll have forgotten all about the spinners... heck they might even still be following the spinners around the lake waiting for an "injured baitfish to fall out of the baitball" (cause thats more than likely what they think those spinners are is a big bait ball). I believe Alan (AJs B&T) recommends to run your lure within 20' of the spinners. (I could be totally wrong on that... thats just what I think I remember him telling me once??? Sorry if I'm mistaken.)

Anyways... 100' rule... good place to start until you've had a chance to assess the "bite".

One thing I'm totally certain of... I either just helped someone catch a fish OR I totally confused everyone...

Hey, I tried.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Slip you raise a point I'm still unclear on is how far to trail the ball when you're using verticals. I've been using the verticals and staying within 6-10 ft. of the ball when I'm fishing deep, say mid summer. I wonder if I'm too close. I wonder how to modify this early in the season, and if it even makes sense to use the verticals when you focus on the upper 10-15 ft. of water early season?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

Personally, I run long lines early in the season. I don't seem to have much luck with the riggers til later in the year, when the fish go deeper. I don't have much experience with the spinners you guys are talking about... what I know about them is pretty much just what I've heard while standing around AJs last year and hearing him tell people about them.
You might be best off stopping in to see him on one of your trips up here? Not sure what to tell ya... sorry.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: early season set ups

I'm thinking long lines and simpler early season presentations myself. I think I'll start by focusing on using the Otter boats and only get into the riggers if I have more people on the boat.