Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

IF YOU USE THEM, DO IT WITHOUT A SPLIT RING.

Myself I could steal "Slipknots" name in a heartbeat, my knots stink unless I really take my time and double check afterwards, so I use speed clips.

Norman Speed Clips, not the Walleye size, they are listed as per 50 count. The link was about 8 lines long so I did not copy it, but they are listed in Cabellas.

Never had a problem with spoons, seem to have good action, at least good enough as I have caught plenty of fish using them. Only problem I have with them is they do not work well with Suttons, the hole is set too far in and they are very difficult to use. Otherwise super and I ony have to worry about tying a few good knots for the clips, then I can change spoons all day without tying another knot.

However this year I added quite a few new spoons and some of them may be a problem like the Suttons, plus many (most) of the new spoons I bought did not come with a split ring. Additioanly I bought some really cool spoon holders that will not allow the use of split rings. They will hold about 192 DB's all at a single glance, but can't use split rings, that's fine as I don't use them anyhow.

Because of the Sutton's and new stuff I will also use the duo lock snaps this year, about a 1/2" to 9/16" long.

Adrien can tie a knot without looking in about 5 or 6 seconds (maybe less) so he has no problem with split rings. Me it takes much longer, I have to use my glasses and be super carefull and then some have to be re-done or look OK but let go.

Sorry for the long answer, but there are many roads to Rome.. But I would have to say most guys tie each spoon on.

John s.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What about duo snaps, rounded and easy to change. Use with a split ring ? without ? or don't use ?

Re: split rings

This subject came up a year or so ago. Based on the talk then, I took John Sampson's sugestion and tried the Norman Speed clips. They work OK, but I really prefer not to use them. (Anybody who wants them can have mine, just catch me on the lake some morning).

I go with split rings on all my lures. On Suttons, I cut the welded rings off with a Dremel tool and replace them with good quality split rings so I can change out hooks, etc. Sounds almost criminal to vandalize a Sutton, but hell, I'm paying for them.

For quick changes, the past 3 years I have been running the smallest SPRO power swivels I can get tied directly to my leader (I also swear by the Palomar knot for this and other similar applications). To change out lures, I use split ring pliers to slip the SPRO swivel on/off the split ring. These swivels are TINY, and don't impede the action of the lure one bit. Never had one fail or lost a fish with tis setup.

Before that, I was tying leader to split ring, but you have to be careful the knot doesn't slip and get cut by the ring.

Re: Re: split rings

Glad to hear you are back Eric, and glad that placed worked out for ya, Another guy i told about the place is also staying there he goes by the name of Bakerman (If ya get a chance go say hi at the cabin he is staying at, This guys Donuts are "Out of this World" best darn donuts i have ever had the pleasure of eating, Just don't steal my Jelly ones as i plan on going to see him after fishing on Saturday to pick up my donuts I've been dying for those jelly donuts since last years derby LOL You'll enjoy the place very nice people and very reasonably priced. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North Looks like I'll have another cabin to go visit saturday night LOL

Re: Re: split rings

After one of John's posts last year, I made the switch to the Speed Clips. I really like them especially in cold, low light situations and I don't have to take my glasses off to tie a lure on LOL. I tie the clips on with a simple palomar knot.
Like Adrien said, the split rings must be removed beore you use them.

Re: Re: Re: split rings

John S., Starfire:

Definitely understand your desire to tie as few knots as possible and "resuse" them. I do ok knot tying but all things being equal don't like to have to tie more than I have too. Thats why I go out with a handfull of pre-tied leaders with no-slip loop knots at both ends. I tie these off water or at the dock when I'm back for the next day. The knot stays off the cut ends of the split ring and moves and swivels around the ring to provide great lure action. If you learn how to tie the no slip loop knot you get the advantages of the quick clips (few knots) but use less hardware nere / on the lure. I got hooked on this knot after watching a FL flats guide. He used the knot to tie jigs directly on the line with no snaps, swivels etc. Before then I had always used a snap swivel so I could change lures easy. I was impressed with the improved action and catch rate of jig using the no-slip loop knot.

P.S. to LOL Dave: thanks again. Stop by if you're up that way. I should be up there Thur. night - Sun am with my buddy Matt from work, considering I made a deal with him that the "boat is his" if we pull in a winner. I always go with the team fishing approach.

Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

Eric, where is there an illustration of the no slip loop knot? I would like to try it.

Thanks,
Ilucas

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!

Hey there Eric, If Im not too tired i will def. stop by as of now the plan is to fish on Sat. and Sunday on the Barge with John and Slipknot Can't fish on Friday due to Graduation UGHHHHHHHHH My Mom said she would kill me if i tryed to skip graduation LOL She's a big lady scare's me more then my Dad LOL So if i have time sat. evening i will def. stop by, Your out of luck for the boat though cause I'M gonna catch that one bright and early Sat. morning on the Barge Wooooo Hoooooo Can't wait to go FISHING it's driving me nuts !!!!!!!!!!! Take CAre God Bless LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

Thanks Eric. I too would like to see an example of that knot.

Here is a link to the web page I found on how to tie the knot. Another thing I like is it seems to be self tightening. I had one break once on a huge fish (my fault) but have not had one become a "slipknot." Sorry, had to get that in...

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

Thanks for the link Eric

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

neet knot. i am going to get a pait of pliers and try it out. have been using the no-knot fast snap clips (medium). they work great but drive me nuts trying to clip them on and off the split rings. they are so small I fumble them in your fingers all the time.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: split rings

I think you'll find this works pretty well. I highly recommend you get a high quality pair of split ring pliers. The better grade split ring pliers work so much better on the lure changeouts, and for all lure making / split ring tasks for that matter. Here's a link to where I got the pliers, I use the "professional" model:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/tools/split_ring_pliers.htm