Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop fishing after limiting out?

According to my Log Book on April 22nd of 08' I kept two 18" Salmon, very early in the morning, two cook up for breakfast. There were a few people staying with me but I was the only one in the boat. I kept those two because I didn't know if I would catch anymore that morning to feed us. I kept fishing and finished the morning out with twelve fish caught, but only those two kept. There was a CO out on the lake that morning and he was checking just about everyone from the sound of it on the VHF. He checked me just after I caught another and a rainbow. I do not know if he saw me catch the salmon but I know he saw me catch the bow. He asked me how the fishing was going and I told him it was excellent. He looked at my license and asked me if I had any fish in the boat. I showed him the two I had in the livewell. He then told me to enjoy the rest of my morning fishing and went on his merry way. Not sure if this helps or just cause more arument but it is what happened that morning.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop fishing after limiting out?

I'm gonna throw this out there one more time... what happens if you have kept/killed two fish and decide to keep fishing as catch and release... then you accidentally kill a fish. You're now over your limit or being very unsportsmanlike and throwing a dead fish overboard.
The charter captains I've been out with tell you right up front that they recommend catch and release... but if you want to keep fish, you can. They then say that if you keep fish you will be done fishing when you reach your limit. That sometimes means pulling in two rods at a time until the clients limits are filled. I have never seen a guide or mate allow the clients to keep fish that would have been outside the clients limit.
I have helped on charters in the past. I asked F&G law enforcement division if it was legal, as I'm not a guide. They said it was fine as long as I was not being paid for my services. No problem... I was just along for the fun anyways. I can steer a boat like nobody's business. LOL. If a mate is being paid ANY amount of money, they are in violation of the law unless they hold a guides license.
I was also told from F&G that it was legal for the guide and the mate to have two lines each in the water, as long as they were properly licensed. According to two different COs there is no problem with taking turns pulling in fish. I practice this on my boat and most everyone that I fish with does the same. We even do it ice fishing... have been talking to COs while doing it... and never had a problem. Its just one of those things that makes it fun for everyone involved.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop fishing after limiting out?

Just playing the devils advocate here: What if the guy catch and releasing kills 7 of the fish he releases that day?
He may not know it at the time of release. The guy keeping his two fish and continuing fishing may also kill an additional five fish in that same day and not know it. Same impact on the fishery by two different methods.

Also if you are driving a boat and there are people that paid to be on that boat you need to be a licensed Captain, whether you are being paid or not. Just an FYI.

I know what the CO told you but the Coast Guard and an insurance company will see it differently.

Spike

Craig, thanks for clarication on some of the rules, I could never find anything on that stuff. I hope it's a legit rule and not just the CO's idea of a rule or how it should be ???? I agree, I think that's the way it should be, I hope they all agree on it.

As far as limits, the best and safest way is to allways have your 2nd fish remain in the lake.

I'm thinking of taking the Barge to your Lake soon and maybe leave it there until Winni opens, which could be real soon. If I do, maybe we can hook up, your welcome anytime. There is a rumor that there are some nice Salmon in that pond.

Good night all.

Big John

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm gonna throw this out there one more time... what happens if you have kept/killed two fish and decide to keep fishing as catch and release... then you accidentally kill a fish. You're now over your limit or being very unsportsmanlike and throwing a dead fish overboard.
The charter captains I've been out with tell you right up front that they recommend catch and release... but if you want to keep fish, you can. They then say that if you keep fish you will be done fishing when you reach your limit. That sometimes means pulling in two rods at a time until the clients limits are filled. I have never seen a guide or mate allow the clients to keep fish that would have been outside the clients limit.
I have helped on charters in the past. I asked F&G law enforcement division if it was legal, as I'm not a guide. They said it was fine as long as I was not being paid for my services. No problem... I was just along for the fun anyways. I can steer a boat like nobody's business. LOL. If a mate is being paid ANY amount of money, they are in violation of the law unless they hold a guides license.
I was also told from F&G that it was legal for the guide and the mate to have two lines each in the water, as long as they were properly licensed. According to two different COs there is no problem with taking turns pulling in fish. I practice this on my boat and most everyone that I fish with does the same. We even do it ice fishing... have been talking to COs while doing it... and never had a problem. Its just one of those things that makes it fun for everyone involved.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop fishing after limiting out?

Capt Spike... you could be right about the amount of unknown deaths caused by releasing fish... I am simply speaking of "creel limit", which is a written law. It would be nice to know how many fish die after releasing. We very rarely see one belly-up in the lake.
Good to know about the insurance side of the "mate" thing... never gave that part a thought. F&G had said as long as I had my boaters certificate and wasn't being paid, it was okay. They probably wouldn't have thought of the insurance people either, as thats not part of their job. Thanks for the heads up. If I ever do it again, I will be sure to look into it further. Been a couple years now anyways.

while we dont like to see a fish go belly up and try hard for that not to happen, releasing one that may be eaten by something else may just be good for the fishery. lakers will eat that fish, so will the cusk etc. thats my veiw on it and maybe im alone with it, but its not just a salmon fishery. its not a bad thing to see an eagle take a struggling fish is it. thay are goung to get them anyways.