Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amazing how fast ice goes out

From the Black Cat Weather cam on http://www.ratllesnakecam/iceout.htm their recorded water temp at a 2 foot depth about 10 minutes ago was 39.7, 10 foot depth was 37.2 .... these temps were fairly close to other published data over the past few weeks.

I spoke to The Lineman about an hour ago. He trolled off for about an hour & 1/2 off Y-Landing & Pine Island in a borrowed boat during a break from working on his boat which is not yet in the water. Only one LDR for him ... he says the ice is moving a bunch and really deteriorating quickly, lots of spots of open water. Watching the cameras today you can really see the changes.

We'll be launching for the season early Friday the 1Oth, lots of initial "opening" chores, but we'll certainly get some lines in the water. Looking forward to again talking to many of you while on the water, hopefully next weekend.

Wishing all an enjoyable safe season.

White Thunder.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amazing how fast ice goes out

I apologise, ice out was not at 39 degrees, here is what I read earlier last wonter, I google alot of fishig terms and make notes of the answers. It does shed some light on ice out, but not 100%.

My question was:
At what temperature does Spring Turnover start.

When surface ice melts and water warms to it’s most dense state, 39 degrees, the colder water sinks down into the less dense water forcing the less dense water to rise to the top, thus flip flopping the lake “Spring turnover”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

From the Black Cat Weather cam on http://www.ratllesnakecam/iceout.htm their recorded water temp at a 2 foot depth about 10 minutes ago was 39.7, 10 foot depth was 37.2 .... these temps were fairly close to other published data over the past few weeks.

I spoke to The Lineman about an hour ago. He trolled off for about an hour & 1/2 off Y-Landing & Pine Island in a borrowed boat during a break from working on his boat which is not yet in the water. Only one LDR for him ... he says the ice is moving a bunch and really deteriorating quickly, lots of spots of open water. Watching the cameras today you can really see the changes.

We'll be launching for the season early Friday the 1Oth, lots of initial "opening" chores, but we'll certainly get some lines in the water. Looking forward to again talking to many of you while on the water, hopefully next weekend.

Wishing all an enjoyable safe season.

White Thunder.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amazing how fast ice goes out

I didn't know there was a spring turnover. Fall turnover is when the water on the top becomes colder than the water on the bottom due to dropping air temps and the bottom water rises to the top. That phenomina doesn't happen in the spring because top water temps are rising.

I'd imagine it is possible that the sun warms darker bottoms where it can reach bottom and thus could make the bottom water heat faster than the top water. but I wasn't aware of this. I didn't think the sun would penetrate to the bottom in deeper parts of the lake.

Come on ice out! I'd like to be on the lake on Sat morning!