Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board

PLEASE NOTE
Use sensible names, do not be rude or abusive towards other users. This is not the place for an argument, exchange news and views ONLY. We do not do religion, propaganda, funny videos etc. NO ADVERTS.

Comments and views on here are not necessarily factually correct and user names are not exclusive. This is a public forum and anyone may post, the messages are not the views and opinions of the owner of Ruislip Online.

TIP: To open links RIGHT click and select "Open in new window"

This board is moderated from time to time
meaning your messages may be deleted without notice and for any reason.

Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any suggestions?

During WW2 there was an air raid wardens' post on the triangle of ground where Midcroft and Manor Way meet. The post was manned by volunteers day and night throughout the war. The two Miss Cookes who lived at 51 Manor Way without fail took coffee and biscuits to the night shift wardens at 10 p.m. every night. After the final 'stand down', one of the wardens, who was a draughtsman, prepared an illuminated address for the two ladies which expresses the thanks for the seventeen men involved. Sometime ago, I inherited the address and would like to find a permanent home for it in Ruislip. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Any suggestions?

At the risk of sounding a bit dim what exactly is

"an illuminated address for the two ladies which expresses the thanks for the seventeen men involved"

Brian - the local history society would probably be interested. Contact details are on their website: www.rnelhs.org.uk

Philip (ROL)
At the risk of sounding a bit dim what exactly is

"an illuminated address for the two ladies which expresses the thanks for the seventeen men involved"

As in "Illuminated manuscript" perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminated_manuscript

That's right David, and thank you Sharon for the suggestion. The address consists of a neat example of calligraphy and ornamentation in a variety of colours on a sheet about A4 size. Sorry to have used a term not in everyone's vocabulary. You can check it on Google. I would like the piece to have a permanent home where it is on public display.

Another suggestion - maybe Ruislip Library would like to have it on show.

Thanks Sharon. The 'address' is the only record we have of the devotion to duty for nearly six years by the seventeen wardens and the two ladies. It deserves to hang in a public place - such as the library - to remind people how volunteers served during the war. Any other suggestions out there?

The Local library service has an excellent Local History Collection that they send on loan to schools/ school libraries-As an ex-teacher myself I can see lots of useful teaching points to pick up on ie community spirit; the idea of routinely working by day and doing a night- watch shift immediately afterwards - also, rationing-with tea, milk and biscuits in short supply and rationed did the Miss Cookes give'their own supplies?

How about the Manor Farm complex
https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/manorfarm

Sounds like a practical suggestion Marie. Thank you. Yes, these two ladies gave up their own rations in order to provide for the wardens. Both held down jobs as well. These two ladies were, in their way, great examples of citizenship and the spirit that helped win the war. I would to see them forgotten while I have the means to see them remembered.HEcNGY