Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board

PLEASE NOTE
Use sensible names, do not be rude or abusive towards other users. This is not the place for an argument, exchange news and views ONLY. We do not do religion, propaganda, funny videos etc. NO ADVERTS.

Comments and views on here are not necessarily factually correct and user names are not exclusive. This is a public forum and anyone may post, the messages are not the views and opinions of the owner of Ruislip Online.

TIP: To open links RIGHT click and select "Open in new window"

This board is moderated from time to time
meaning your messages may be deleted without notice and for any reason.

Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wenzels Ruislip Manor

One thing is for certain. The Manor desperately needs another food outlet.

Alex
One thing is for certain. The Manor desperately needs another food outlet.

I was thinkimg the same thing, and I'm suprised no one has yet bought Roders (the Portuguese restaurant in the manor) because the queues were usually out the door when that was open.

Maybe it's me, but I never thought a bit of competition ever did anyone any harm. It keeps everyone on their toes and gives more choice and bargains to the shoppers. I remember when I first lived in the Manor (1963) there were 4 major bakers, 6 butchers and 10 grocers shops. That's not to mention all the newsagents, hairdressers, chemists and shoe shops (remember them !!) After all Victoria Road is a shopping parade.

Just a thought.

Popeye
Maybe it's me, but I never thought a bit of competition ever did anyone any harm. It keeps everyone on their toes and gives more choice and bargains to the shoppers. I remember when I first lived in the Manor (1963) there were 4 major bakers, 6 butchers and 10 grocers shops. That's not to mention all the newsagents, hairdressers, chemists and shoe shops (remember them !!) After all Victoria Road is a shopping parade.

Just a thought.[/quote

You make a good point. I wish we had a costa or Starbucks in the manor and i would be happier than a pig in muck.

This list was posted on the website back in 2008, it's from the Kemps Directory for 1962.....love it.

http://www.ruislip.co.uk/manor/1962.htm

Good to hear. No harm with some competition surely?

My kids love the cakes and biscuits in 66 Bakery but I'm not too keen. As already mentioned the sausage rolls and pies are greasy and taste odd. I find the bread, baguettes etc very plain. No real flavour.

Looking forward to an alternative.

The 1962 Victoria Road list I recently put on this site was originally posted by Keith Martin in 2004. I just wanted to give credit where credit's due.
Thank you.

I can't believe Ellie post. Why can't another baker open up? If that was the way, we would be queuing up for days for a haircut and selling using one estate agent. Personally, I have never found 66 hierarchy or staff to be that pleasant. The last time I checked we have free enterprise in this country.[o:)]

Fascinating looking at the old list of shops. How things have changed, you'll notice one cafe, a milk bar and a fish and chip shop, not a restaurant in sight. As I remember we bought food from the grocers,green grocers, butchers or wet fish shops, took them home and cooked a meal ourselves.......nice.

The shop is already being fitted out and the signage is up.

As someone who works in the Manor i for one cannot wait for Wenzels to open. Somebody will have to explain 66 to me as i simply don't get the appeal of a dirty rundown bakers with rude staff and appalling products that taste of cheap ingredients.

Carpet Dude
As someone who works in the Manor i for one cannot wait for Wenzels to open. Somebody will have to explain 66 to me as i simply don't get the appeal of a dirty rundown bakers with rude staff and appalling products that taste of cheap ingredients.

I have to agree with your comments, I stopped going there years ago because the cakes were tasteless.

They also like to employ young kids no doubt on minimum wage.

Agreed. As others have said, competition is healthy. Looking forward to it opening.

I've been going to 66 for many years and have ALWAYS found the staff really friendly.

Wenzels is open today