Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board

PLEASE NOTE
Use sensible names, do not be rude or abusive towards other users. This is not the place for an argument, exchange news and views ONLY. We do not do religion, propaganda, funny videos etc. NO ADVERTS.

Comments and views on here are not necessarily factually correct and user names are not exclusive. This is a public forum and anyone may post, the messages are not the views and opinions of the owner of Ruislip Online.

TIP: To open links RIGHT click and select "Open in new window"

This board is moderated from time to time
meaning your messages may be deleted without notice and for any reason.

Ruislip And Ickenham Online Community Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M40 "lighting" works

Am I the only one who cannot understand why the Highways Agency have imposed a 50mph limit, complete with average speed cameras on the beginning stretch of the M40?

Some signs say it is for lighting repairs and others say it is because of an incomplete barrier.

There has been little or no evidence of lighting repairs taking place and no sign of an incomplete barrier, and yet the limit is in force 24/7 and has been there for a long time now.

This seems to me to be overbearing bureaucracy. Am I alone in this frustration?

Re: M40 "lighting" works

No you are not. It all looks a bit "over the top". That said sticking to the 50 mph speed limit instead of 70 probably only adds a minute to any journey....

The cameras are dummies. The work is going on at night, they keep the limit in all day because they can, why it's taking so long is any ones guess.

bob
The cameras are dummies. The work is going on at night, they keep the limit in all day because they can, why it's taking so long is any ones guess.

Ho can you tell they are dummies? Flipping expensive and elaborate hoax if you are right.

This conversation was started here on 7th June this year. I wonder if the dummy cameras have caught the chap who said they were dummies at that time?

Does anyone remember the column falling down in heavy wind on the elevated A40? Here's a link to some info taken from 13th May 2009:

Street lights missing on A40 London end. - Ben 10
Response from TFL:

"As background, I can advise that in January 2007, a lighting column on the A40 Westway elevated section failed during high winds due to internal corrosion. Structural testing identified numerous columns in a similar state and due to safety concerns these columns were immediately removed.

Detailed designs for the replacement of the columns along this section of road were produced and we planned to replace the lighting columns. However, we received a number of requests from local residents who did not want the lighting replaced and advised they would prefer for us to leave the road unlit."

I've also read that the lighting columns in the central reservation of some of these trunk roads are bolted to the ground, rather than rooted into the ground. So corrosion would be a serious problem if they just blew or fell over.

Has anyone seen if they've chopped off the lights on the M40 in that section? Just like on the elevated A40 Westway between White City and Marylebone.

Nice little earner for the company that supplies the speed cameras where the road works are and they get a rake off from the speeding fines.I dont want to test them just in case they are working.

don't know if anyone else noticed, but when they started the works the speed limit signs were wrong - if you came off the A40 Westbound at Swakeleys Road the temporary National Speed Limit signs were placed AFTER the 30MPH signs on the slip road invalidating a lot of the local speed limits