Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam weekend report

I gave Friday report, 2 Bows, one was 5.25, other one about 3.5 did not weigh it, then the lake shut down. Extreme lake conditions over the weeekend, flat or 3 to 4 footers, made poor fishing overall.

Thursday night one real nice Salmon, easy the biggest of the season so far, caught by Travis on my boat, did not weigh it, measured to be 23.5". Caught on a "2010" fly from Cee Dee Streamers (jig ball folks) same fly that caught the 5.25 Bow Friday.

Saturday, pretty much the same as Friday, 2 nice Bows, dropped a few fish, Flys 20' on lead best set up on Rod Pumper or G2 Jigger ball. No Salmon.

We went out late Sunday, wasn't going to go out as I was solo and the forecasted wind was bad.

Got up and it wasn't that bad (yet) decided to give it a go, went out at 9:30, 3 to 4 footers,ugh.
As we had fished quite a bit in the wind the past two weeks we knew where to go in a west wind,
biggest problem is the boat drift was cutting off our lead core lines on the rod pumpers the past
2 weeks or so.

The other problem was setting up alone, 15 seconds away from the helm and we did a 360. So we set up two rigger lines just behind the blades, we could do that fast enough and if we turned too much it did no harm.

No bites for a while, but no big problems, decided to try and run a jig ball if I could run it close and set it up fast, ran a fly 25 feet back on mono, worked like a champ. Between the jig ball and other rigger we picked up 5 fish, 4 Bows and a Salmon. Too rough to weigh and measure, Salmon was over 5, Bows were all about 3 to 3.5, Spoon was a BB Gun orange and gold tiger stripes, gold belly, fly on the G2 was Sparky Streamer, mostly red. So all in all it was a good day, if I wasn't alone might have been better.

We didn't slam fish all weekend, allot of time on the water, a few (2 or 3, only 1 the night of the big boy) each trip and one skunk, but we did get a few Salmon and a 5.25 Bow in the mix, mostly Bows from 3 to 3.5, and 1 little guy Salmon about 6".

Did pick up a few fish 22 feet down off the riggers with Gold and Orange SSS, but lead core and streamers was champ.

Alot of new boats to Squam each weekend, a few were on the wrong side of the buoys, ouch. Not sure how they were doing, but it was strange to see 5 boats on on a Friday night, normally alone.

The two missing Salmon year classes are realy killing the Salmon fishing on Squam, a few nice Bows each day, now and then decent Salmon and of course now and then a decent "skunk". May get better as the water warms up more and the fish stay in deeper water ??????

Thank god they put in some extra Bows last year or it would be pretty brutal, as suspected the Bows will be the bulk of the fishery here in 2010.

We kept a few Bows for the table, the few Salmon we caught were very nice healthy 3 and 4 year olds, so we put em back.

Oh. we did get one little guy over the weekend, he was easily de-hooked and released, no new Bows caught this week.

Big John

Re: Squam weekend report

John,

Thanks man what a fun time! I have to thank you for introducing me to the jigger balls! Ran mine on Winni and lets just say THANX!!!

Cool Water