Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Planer Board Releases.

Don’t know what your setup is, but here are a few tips and comments.

1) Make sure that your planner boards are pulling hard, taut line.
2) Make sure that your release is free to float down the line and it is not twisted. The shower curtain clip should be perpendicular to the tow line.
3) Cal’s suggestion to speed up. The drag force on the line increases as the square of the speed. You should not have to this.
4) You may be trying to do the impossible, i.e., putting 2 colors in the water and trying to send it down the tow line greater than 2 colors.
5) You could spool separate length of lead with mono backing, mono is very light, and it will go down the tow line further.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gus

All great ideas, one they left out, height of the planer mast isimportant, the higher the better and I always seem to get em out better if I speed up some while running them down, but Gus says wont help (I think) and not needed and he's da man.

My planer mast extends to 9', no problem running the lines down, it's a Riviera, but I use Big John Otter Boats. Once in a while they are slow going out, I use only in-line lead core set ups, so my clips clip onto the mono, best set up I think.

Big John

John Sampson
All great ideas, one they left out, height of the planer mast isimportant, the higher the better and I always seem to get em out better if I speed up some while running them down, but Gus says wont help (I think) and not needed and he's da man.

My planer mast extends to 9', no problem running the lines down, it's a Riviera, but I use Big John Otter Boats. Once in a while they are slow going out, I use only in-line lead core set ups, so my clips clip onto the mono, best set up I think.

Big John

“Gus says wont help” I said you should not have to speed up the boat to get the release down the line, assuming that you have the planer board tow line taut and the release clip is perpendicular to the tow line. What pulls the release down the tow line are the forces (drag) on the release cause by the leadcore in the water, speeding up will increase the drag force. I don’t speed up to set lines. What holds the release back is the weight of the lead core from the pole to the release. Height in the ranges seen on boats does not significantly affect the forces because it is only a few degrees change in elevation; a 2 feet change in elevation with the board out 50 feet is insignificant.

The biggest bang for the buck are the 2 items listed; taut tow line and free flowing of the release clip.

Gus

As John mentioned, high planer mast helps - creates a steeper downward angle on the planer line. Like the Laurvick's as well - they're a little heavier than other releases and slide down the line a little better.

Thanks for setting me straight Gus, but the taller mast does help, regardles of the math or physics, lol.

Big John

Thanks guys.. I will try all ideas at this point. I do use in-line lead core (clipping mono into the releases) and those slide down ok.. Its more when I am trying to put out light lures (DB's,Flutter Guns, etc.) on mono only that I am running into issues.

It sounds like you don’t have sufficient line in the water to create the drag needed to pull the release down the tow line. Just got back from Lake O and we flat lined our lures on planner boards no problems, put out 100’or more of line. The Gray Ghost ran 100 and 150’ and the Peggy C ran up to 175’, just be careful not to get run over by other boats. On Lake O everybody is running long lines so they are careful not to run over other boat’s lines.

Gus

Can't take credit for this one but I learned a great trick from Adrien. If you are using otter boats drill a hole on the outside wing of the otter boat, attach an 18" lead to an empty tin can (I used my wifes tupperware hahaha) and tie it through the hole on the otter boat. When your otter boat is out there it will help put more drag on the line and pull it tighter enabling the release to slide better.
Works well for me. Adrien educated alot of us on this site just how to catch fish and how to release them properly. He was the first person that I can remember telling us to get rid of our "slob nets" (as he used to call them) and buy a rubber net. He has not posted for quite a while, I for one miss his posts and great pics.