Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mon, Tue winni report

Had a fantastic time the last two days out on the water and napping on the couch! Fished with a friend from work who grew up fly fishing for trout in the streams of PA and he wanted to get out on the big pond to catch some salmon. Monday morning was a little tough trying to dial in on the salmon. We found a bunch of lakers early and made a move based on a tip from an anonymous source who was kind enough to inform me which way the wind had been blowing the last few days and the move paid off, so thank you anonymous source! We got the Fly Fisherman's first ever landlocked salmon and lake trout the trolling way, you know...sitting down. Both Leadcore and downriggers were hitting and both spoons and flies were hitting. (Think Orange)
My Experiment with the single siwash hooks gave mixed results this trip. We had 2 severly wounded because of the siwash coming up through the salmon's mouth and out the bottom of its eye. Both of those fish were two year olds and the hook was a size 4. Both salmon were taken out of the lake and into the frying pan...they were very tasty. No size 6 siwash hooks caused any wounds, other than the entry wound, in either the 2 year olds or the 3 year olds we caught. The lakers were unaffected by either the size 4 or 6 hooks.
We also Kept a 3 year old that was tangled in the line pretty good and he had removed a lot of his own scales and we kept a laker as mike had never eaten one, and they are very tasty with a little breading and a good pan frying!

Being with a fly fisherman and that I also am trying to learn how to fly fish we spent monday afternoon fly fishing and spin fishing in a small cove in moultonborough and in 19 mile bay. I am happy to say that I caught my first fish ever fly fishing and it was a nice yellow perch. Mike managed to pull a babe ruth act and call his shots. He said that he would catch his first perch on his third cast and he did just that....cocky? maybe....pretty cool?...yes. I am also kind of excited at the numbers and size of yellow perch I saw in 19 mile bay. I know that the numbers of those critters had been declining and I was surprised to see big schools of them and big fat ones. It was fun fly fishing for them and catching them. They are a beautiful fish.....back to the salmon!

Here is Mike with his first Landlocked Salmon and Laker!
mike

Re: Mon, Tue winni report

Great report,keep them coming.Sounds like you had a great time and thats what its all about.polebreaker

Re: Mon, Tue winni report

Great repoert Link! It was also very nice chattin with you on the water yesterday too. My report coming soon.

Matt