Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pollen

Does anyone have any ideas or comments on the effects of Pollen on the water with fishing ???

4 day Squam report and product report coming later today.

Big John

Re: Pollen

Yes. It's a PITA!

Salty

screwed up the first 20 feet on the fishfinder this weekend on my lake early in the morning, im betting the smelt dont like it because i didnt see the bait near the surface either early in the day.

I was out in it a couple weeks ago. The wind had concentrated it into this slick I guess you could say that was about 100 feet wide. If I trolled through it no bites and if I got to far from it no bites but if I paralled it just enough to keep my lines out of it the bite was on.

thats interesting, i know way off shore when you find big slicks sometimes there is warmer water on one side and it will hold fish. wonder if that happens on our lakes as well

Link
I was out in it a couple weeks ago. The wind had concentrated it into this slick I guess you could say that was about 100 feet wide. If I trolled through it no bites and if I got to far from it no bites but if I paralled it just enough to keep my lines out of it the bite was on.

Interesting, maybe that's why Squam has been slow, the while lake is covered with it, lol.

An interesting article was found by Adam Dubriske, I've asked him to post it.

Big John

Pollen is a great source of protein for our lakes.
Cal

Science News Share Blog Cite Print Email BookmarkPollen Proves Beneficial For Northern Lakes
ScienceDaily (June 12, 2006) — Mention the word pollen to most people and it triggers thoughts of their battle against allergic reactions. However, a University of Alberta researcher has found an important spin-off for this fine yellow dust-like powder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Graham, a PhD student from the Department of Biological Sciences at the U of A, has shown for the first time the benefits of pollen on boreal lakes. Rich in nutrients, pollen is an essential component of plant fertilization but few think of its importance to fertilize lakes. Wind-dispersed pollen in early summer is not only visually striking, but it can represent a substantial pulse of nutrients to northern lakes.

Graham's research team found that plankton responded strongly to additions of pollen in experimental enclosures, located along the shorelines of three boreal lakes in northwestern Ontario's Experimental Lakes Area. "Specifically, pollen subsidized the lake water nutrient levels and in turn, promoted the abundance of plankton," said Graham, who is working with Dr. Rolf Vinebrooke in the U of A's Freshwater Biodiversity Laboratory. "Our findings strongly suggest that pollen is an important linkable between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems in northern environments."

By increasing the availability of plankton, an important food resource for forage fish, the production of harvestable sport fish may also rise, all thanks to pollen.

Since climate also affects annual pollen production predicted climate change scenarios could affect the productivity of northern lakes by altering the magnitude and timing of delivery of this important source of forest-derived nutrients, said Graham.

This research is published in the current issue of the journal "Limnology and Oceanography."

That's the article that Adam sent me, thanks for posting it Cal. Guess we should stop crying about the Pollen but it sure makes a wicked mess everywhere.

Big John

Very interesting article. When explaned that way it does make sence that pollen can feed the plankton to feed the smelt to feed the salmon!!!

Came down to the boat in Senter's cove at 5 AM Sun and the shore was absolutely socked in with pollen. There was a huge insect hatch (Mayflies?)that looked like it was coming out of the pollen. The smallmouth bass were having an absolute feeding frenzy on them as they hit the water downwind. Only able to fish for a couple hours early Sun - couple of misses and only managed one runt salmon. Couldn't really sneak away from the family stuff to fish much...

We ended up running into the same problem as Fishlessman with the pollen, More then likely explains why we didn't find our lakers in their usual holes. Oh well still nice to be out on the water LOL Take Care God Bless LOL Dave