Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Squam report Friday and Saturday or Doom and Gloom

Leftyyyy
Ewww,

Doesn't sound good at all...

I had the same experience last Sunday, couple of smallies and a large pickerel @ 40+ feet. Only saving grace was a 3.5 bow off Deephaven.

Just got back from my youngest's HS graduation in the seacoast, think I'll head down and do a few loops before dark, despite the doom and gloom.

Sorry to rain on your parade, it's maybe one of the most beautifull lakes I know, tree and mountain studded shoreline, homes barely visable, etc, very little boat traffic. If your going to be "Squamed" I can't think of a better place for it.

Got a call today from a friend on Winni, same story down there today, no bites all morning. The May Fly hatch is the usual sign of a slow down on Squam and aparerently many other lakes. That, with a cool down of the water temp and juicy inch long YOY, makes it hard to get a bite.

I don't believe much on proper depths, proper color, etc. except maybe darker color on a dark day, etc. The fish are up and down the water column right now, especially on overcast sh---y, cool days, trick is getting your bait in front of the right fish to trigger a bite. With limited fish and tons of food in the lake, it can be frustrating trying to get a fish that's stuffed to the gills to take bite. You have to p-ss him off enough to make an agression strike.

You might try live bait in times like this, but if your a converted Bass man the word "live" must be like a swear to you, me too, but I'm thinking about it a little, lol. Or downsize your presentation, try a small #6 single streamer or small Mooseluk's, even a Sutton #5 has been good on Squam when you need a smaller presenation. But bigger fish will always take a nice tandem streamer too..

On Squam, "good things come to those that wait", so hang in there and enjoy the serenity of one of NH's most beautiful lakes.. You will soon and don't forget, "no pain, no gain".

Big John

Hey John,
Any luck in that trench the last couple of weeks? Man those riggers worked the nuts in there!!!

Sorry to hear about the slow down. That said, can't say I'm surprised. Two missing year classes of salmon and plenty of natural bait make it a tough lake to build your confidence up on right now.

Enjoy the Sox game.

Tom.

Tom (from Michigan)
Sorry to hear about the slow down. That said, can't say I'm surprised. Two missing year classes of salmon and plenty of natural bait make it a tough lake to build your confidence up on right now.

Enjoy the Sox game.

Tom.

I can honestly say I go out now not expecting to catch anything at all, but there is always a chance that one of the left over 4 or 5 year old monsters will take a bite.

We aren't even catching any new resident Salmon (a good thing) or many of the new Bows. It's strange that on Winni the yearling Salmon are caught so much whereby on Squam we might catch "one" every 3 or 4 trips. I can understand pretty much why the hook wounding rate gets so high on Winni, but a high rate on Squam is a puzzler. It's very difficult to catch and release a yearling Salmon without doing it some harm one way or another.

Later in July and for sure in August we will be catching more fish, maybe even some legal Bows with the possibility still of big one now and then, but right now it's pretty tough.

And of course every weekend it rains, can't even enjoy the boating, be great if we had a beter bite.

Big John

Got out for a few hours after dinner. Cloudy, but skies never opened up. Caught a couple small bass in the deep 30's and had a number of false releases.

Just put on a couple of new Chamberlains, so mostly likely its due to my settings. Agree 100% as far as the appeal of the lake - much easier to take a bad day (even a season) when surrounded by such a beautiful setting.

My expectations are always tempered, but it's still exciting to know that hooking into a heavyweight is always a possibility!