Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil spill and job opertunities, off topic but interesting

I have a sister that lives in Florida on the Panhandle, here is a note I got from her about her son and his buddy, now working for BP. It was in response to my telling her my friend (Floyd) was realy concerned about the fishing, etc. in Florida as he loves to fish there each winter.

Her note:
I ASSUME HE IS A SPORTS FISHERMAN AND DOESN'T DEPEND ON FISHING FOR A LIVING.

HE SHOULD BE VERY THANKFUL THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LOOSING HIS LIVELIHOOD AND HOME VALUE LIKE SO MANY OF US HERE. THIS HAS PUT THE CHERRY ON TOP FOR VALUE ON REAL ESTATE.

BILLY AND BRIAN HAVE STARTED TO WORK FOR BP. .THEY COMPLETED THE COURSE TO BECOME CERTIFIED FOR HASMAT. A 4 DAY COURSE OF INTENSIVE TRAINING. THEY HAVE TO WORK 12 HOUR DAYS FOR 21 DAYS STRAIGHT AND THEN GET 3 DAYS OFF AND START OVER AGAIN. OVERTIME AFTER 40 HOURS AND 2 MEALS A DAY. BILLY HAS BEEN MADE A TEAM LEADER. TEAMS HAVE 10 PEOPLE IN THEM.

THEY WERE TOLD THAT "THIS" COULD BE A JOB LASTING FOR 10 YEARS. AT FIRST THEY WERE TOLD THAT THEY WOULD BE DEPLOYED TO PENSACOLA AND PUT UP IN A HOTEL, BUT WHEN B P FOUND OUT THAT THEY LIVE HERE THEY STATIONED THEM IN PANAMA CITY BEACH FOR NOW. THIS CAN BE A LIFETIME CAREER IF THEY WANT IT.

HEAR THIS: ON BEACH CLEANUP THEY WORK FOR 15 MINUTES AND THEN SIT IN AN AIR CONDITIONED TENT FOR 45 MINUTES AND START AGAIN. BOTTOM LINE THEY REALLY WORK ABOUT 3 HOURS A DAY. .

THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF JOBS THAT HAVE TO BE DONE, SO THAT TIME FRAME DOESN'T APPLY TO OTHER JOBS. I GUESS CLEANUP IS THE STARTING POINT. TODAY IS THEIR FIRST DAY ACTUALLY ON THE CLOCK.

LOVE JANET

I guess now that they are certified they can go anywhere in the world if needed for oil spills, etc.
Pay is low, about 10.00 an hour (plus bennys) and 12.50 for team leaders, then you can become a supervisor for 35.00 an hour and there are many other types of jobs in between. Good chance for advancement, etc. my nephew (no experience at all) was made group leader before he actually started, ha,ha. May be a supervisor before the week is out, lol.

Floyd and I are planning on a winter job now that I have a connection there, work 3 weeks and fish 3 days, lol.

Sorry to mkae light of it all, it is a shame what the future holds for all areas effected, be thankful we live where we do and hope the oil don't make it up north. I may have to re-think my Florida retirement home plans to Naples (on the water).

Big John