(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: report such as it is

jusgrinnin
Last wed. Newfound one bow 23+" 4.5# caught on barns spiecal at 2 color 2.2 mph gps.
Fri. winni one shaker salmon off the east side of bear,one 5# bass down by steamboat.
Sun. back to Newfound couldn't have caught a fish if it was in my live well!!!
Thanks JOHN for trying to get things back on track!!!
BARRY

We all have those days Barry, good to post it anyhow because if someone else has a bad day he can maybe feel it was "just a bad day for everyone" and not what he was doing or his lake.

Thanks, looks like some guys are posting again and many cases it's new guys.

We need the guides to post again too, give back a little ya know. Speaking of guides, I had a guy e mail me and he thought the message board was a "guides board". No way guys, only a few guides ever post, but many read the message board every day. This is everyone's message board to use.

Big John

Re: report such as it is- guide reports

I have few fishing days available. A guide has sometimes 8 rods or more in the water with a variety of depths and lure selections, they can figure out the program pretty fast. When I hit the water with 2 rods if information from a report can start me at 30 feet and a lure or fly selection I have a starting point. Great site for information.

Re: report such as it is- guide reports

I really think proper depths is not as big a deal as it's made up to be so being limited to only a few lines isn't a very big handicap as you might expect as far as finding the right depth quickly. It might perhaps increase your odds of catchin fish running more lines however.

Last summer I bought my first Rod Pumper from Jim and as I refuse to fish with more than 5 colors of lead core with a 300 or 400 feet of line back. So my starting set up was 100ft main line, 4 colors in-line lead out with an extra 100 feet of mono after that, about 320 feet back. So I figure I'm down about 25 feet max with that set up, not a great depth normnally for Sqaum which is a warmer lake than Winni. However we caught big Salmon all summer and fall with that set up, many times the only line that got a bite all day.

My contention is depth, color, etc. are not that important, if a hungry Salmon or Bow can "see" your spoon, fly etc. they will come well out of thier comfort zone into warmer water and take a bite.

Would I run all my lines at that depth in summer, probably not (definately not) but you can still catch fish at most any reasonable depth, actually I think your odds are better at 25 feet than 100 for Salmon or Bows.

Trust me 20 or 25 feet is just a few flips of a big fishes caudal fin, so don't get too worked up being limited to 2 lines to find the correct depth, I would say 28 to 32 feet will work on most any of our lakes.

Big John
(Speaking from practical experiences)