Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brown Trout thought it was a Bass

Weird thing happened the other day. I was on a lake in southern Maine and I had caught some lakers and then the bite died around 11 am. I had some live bait with me so I decided to try for bass in a weedy cove off the main lake. Water temp. was around 75 degrees. I start slow trolling over the top of the weeds and catch a nice largemouth in 6 feet of water. Make another pass through the same area and hook up again. Fight the fish to the boat and was shocked to pull in a 18" brown trout. This made me re-think that maybe fish aren't always where we think they're going to be.
Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? Just curious to see if there are any other "weird" trout/salmon stories out there. Happy 4th of July!

Chris

Re: Brown Trout thought it was a Bass

Same thing happened to me on Great East Lake. One time it was a brown and one time it was a laker. Both times I was casting hardware for bass.

I've read that brown trout will feed in water up to 75 degrees. About ten years ago I was bass fishing with my son (Braun Bay) using night crawlers. He got a birds nest on one reel and I left the hooked night crawler in the water while I worked on the tangled line at the reel. Gave the kid another set up so he could keep fishing. After about 15 minutes I get the line untangled and reel it in, we had a huge salmon that took the night crawler in 3 to 4 feet of water on the 4th of July!! He was a good 3 to 4 pound fish but I think he had health problems, should not have been in 70 plus degree water. Fish long enouh and some things won't suprise you. Tight lines to all & happy 4th - remember our sevice men and women, some are doing difficult work as we enjoy our freedom!!

4 years ago bass fishn in the evening; I took a hard fighting 20 inch brown out of a 4 acre farm pond in mid July on a Zara Spook. Fish hit in 5 feet of water that must have been 75 deg+. I was told they can tolerate the warmest water in the species. Fish had very dark coloring and was also released.

AB
20" brown from a "small farm pond", what a nice surprize. Must have been a beauty!
Richard

A few weeks ago I was fishing off of Rattlesnake in the middle of the afternoon and had my line about 15 feet behind the boat dragging the surface. Much to my surprise, while I was trying to connect to my downrigger a 17 inch salmon grabbed it. Never expected him to be on the surface during the afternoon of a mid-June day.

I had a similar senario. Hot, 95 plus, spring fed lake in Mid ME for largemouth. Rowing a 12 ft dingy, decided to troll back from being wind driven about a mile from camp, threw a broken back back rapala, 6lb test, pole at my feet. Suddenly pole snapped against the back seat and I just grabbed it, was in 10 feet of water, maybe 15. Fought for 25 mins, finally got about a 12 lb brown to the side, no net, lost him when i tried to lift em over the gunnel. Great fun!