Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ossipee Browns

Sounds like fun Joe, I would like to see browns in some more lakes.....they grow!!!!! Lucas Pond in Nottingham has turned out a few trophies!

JoeG
I usually catch a 1/2 dozen browns per year while trolling Ossipee. Last week I caught 7 of them. Six of them were on Chappy's Sexy Smelt. These fish are beautiful specimens. One was 18.5 inches and a hair under 3 lbs. I highly recommend these spoons.

Another one I caught was almost identical to the 18.5 incher and was caught in an odd manner. I was reeling in a runt salmon as fast as I could because I had 8 colors out and knew it was a runt. the brown nailed the salmon and almost ripped the rod out of my hand. Quite a thrill!

Sounds like a great day fishing. A week or so ago, we were picking up our lines,vthe boat was doing over 3 mph, I was reeling in a lead core set up as fast as I could and bam a hit, not a huge fish but a nice Bow. Just a testament as to how fast you can troll using streamers, or that 2.2 isn't gospel for all fish, depends on your baits.

BTW, I thought Fish and Game never put Browns and Salmon together in the same lake ????

Big John

Sexy Smelt! Nice report!

I think I am heading to a friends cabin on Ossipee in a couple weeks... hopefully we can get into some!

Can't go wrong with Chappy's lures around here!

-Cody

They stock browns in the bearcamp river which is the inlet to ossipee. The outlet is pine river which they stock brookies and perhaps rainbows.

The bearcamp gets brookies, rainbows, and browns.

Catching these trout that are over 16 inches in the lake makes for a very special treat - one that should be much respected.

BTW - I will be on vacation next week with the family. I only have this Thurs and Friday to fullfill orders. Otherwise the next day I can send out product is July 26th. Just a heads up as many of you know I try to turnaround orders within 24 hrs.

Thanks Chappy,

How do the Salmon get in there, or do they stock the Lake with them and the others migarate in from the rivers. I know Fsih and Game are normaly very carefull about Salmon and Browns being in the same waters.

Big John

They stock the lake with Salmon. There are lakers in there also. The trout that aren't caught move into the lake when the water gets skinny and then they survive in the cline...

Same thing happens with poor farm brook and ellacoya but with brookies. I don't think they stock browns in the Winnipesaukee Lake watershed.

I do know they used to put browns many years back in Lakeport Dam and Avery Dam but that wat 15+ years ago. If they continued to, then Winnisquam and Lake Opeechee could have big browns in them.

Right now a lot of "warm water" lakes that go 50 ft deep are stocked with browns but most of these lakes have perch and bass. I am sure the browns are seldom trolled for and this time of year if they are in the cline, the area in these lakes is about the size of a pond so they are very catchable especially if there is bait. In these lakes there are golden shiners, threadfin shiners, and YOY perch of course...

browns in ossipee look like browns, pretty easy to id, in other lakes they look so similar that ive seen game wardens mix them up until they looked thoroughly. ossipee puts out some really nice brown trout with really good color

Does Ossipee get busy on the weekends? How is the boat launch?

Ossipee gets 1500 salmon and 1500 bows per year

great info Joe, will have to try that lake again. I have launched there before when I had my Starcraft but it was back about 8 or 9 years ago. I have a boat that has a hard top now and not sure if there was a bridge that you have to sneak under to get to the main lake. Are there any other launches on the lake that would work out better?

I'll be there from this Wed til maybe Sunday. If you'd like to come with me one of those mornings, you can hop on my boat. I'll show you where to fish. You can launch at my place at another time, but I have to be there to let you in. Let me know. Joe

Joe G
I'll be there from this Wed til maybe Sunday. If you'd like to come with me one of those mornings, you can hop on my boat. I'll show you where to fish. You can launch at my place at another time, but I have to be there to let you in. Let me know. Joe

Thanks Joe, don't know if I can get up there this week coming but will let you know if I can. I also placed an order with Chappy for some of his lures and they arrived today!
They look great, can't wait to try them. Can't believe how fast he got them to me, I ordered them Thursday and got them today!!!!

Pines River is an inlet also. The only outlet is at the dam, which is the beginning of the Ossipee River, which flows into the Saco.

They don't stock browns there. Ossipee has a self-sustaining population and only one of two or three lakes in NH to have them. They drop down from the Bearcamp River where they are stocked as 10 inch fish. They head up river and spawn in the fall. John Viar has witnessed them spawning as far as 3 miles upstream from the lake. They are absolutely gorgeous specimens.You don't get many, but when you do, it's usually a good fish. I've gotten them close to 5 lbs.

Hello Joe I am glad to see some one has ben fishing the lake I have only made it out to fish Ossipee 3 times this year, havent seen anyone besides Bass fishing guys out at all. I was going to call you to see how the fishing has ben lately i am glad to see your post maybe we will meet up on the lake one of these weekends the few times I went out I only caught a few rainbows and a few short salmon. I did real well this spring fishing shawtown and whites though jay d