(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sat. Morning report

John Sampson
Nice report, I don't know why you guys are constantly picking uo the new Salmon, everyones reports seem to be picking them up the "little guys". I have only caught two so far this year and we do put allot of time on the pond. I hope they are still in there. We do catch plenty of the new Bows however.

We took the weekend off, but wishin we were fishin.

Big John

I think it's strange about the new salmon also. Last year I probably only took 6 total, this year I must be around 30 with 2 months left in the season. I try to stay off them but they're everywhere I go. I feel bad because they get some degree of hook wounding but if I could control what I catch it'd be several 3-4 year olds each time out. Maybe it's because they upped the average stocking size so they're more likely to take a lure right out of the hatchery? They sure are growing fast though, the biggest last trip was 13" and all of them had good bellies.

Last year I also caught rainbows and good sized ones almost every trip out. This year I've only caught 4 smallish ones and none since the end of May. I actually prefer to eat bows over salmon but since I haven't caught any lately I'll take a salmon home that I'd rather release. I guess not knowing what your going to catch is part of the fun of fishing though (as long as you catch something).

Did you check then fin clip on the 13" one, that may be a runt from last year (left ventral clip) 6 or 7 inches growth in 3 months is quite a bit of growth. 2010 have Adipose clip fin clipped. I think the last one we caught in Squam (the 2nd one all year) was only about 9" maybe close to 10 ???

I think you're right, the stock size has allot to do with them showing up more in the catch rate, but not on my lake ??????

Normally we get a few the first month after the stocking then they hide til fall, but this year we aren't getting many at all and not hearing of others getting them either. From what I see so far I don't think this years stocking will be as succesfull as 2007's, I hope I'm wrong. 2007 stocking (similar to this years but less fish) produced a nice catch rate of keepers in 2008 (3 snd 4 pounders) and 5 and 6 pounders in 2009 (a few 7's this year) I doubt we will see it like that again. Squam is turning into a Rainbow fishery with an occaisional Salmon.

I hear Sunapee is pretty much a Laker fishery now, they dont stock Bows and Salmon are few and far between. Many regulars I know there have not caught a Salmon yet and only a couple new residents to date, but 6 to 10 Lakers each trip.

Winnisquam seems to be prodcuing similar to Winni with Salmon, Bows and Lakers. But I'm not sure how many new Salmon are being caught, not many I suppose as they have a much lower stock rate due to lack of Smelt.

Enjoying my weekend home, but rather be fishin, may have to sneak up mid-week but hoping a trip to the Salt my pop up..

Big John

I didn't check the fin clip so it's possible it was a 2 yr. old runt, he did put up a decent fight on the light rigger rod.

What pound test leader do you use when landing those 4-7 pound fish? I use 6 lb. test and sometimes I worry when landing a 3 pounder it might break. I suppose it would help if I took the boat out of gear if I feel a whopper is on.

I use to use Seagar 10# main line and 8#, now I use Seagar Tatsu 8# main line, 4# leader. But most of my bigger fish were earlier this year with the heavier set up. We did land a few heavier fish with 4# leader shortly after we swtiched, I'd never attempt that with regular 4# line, not even Seagar.

I keep my drag light, let the light action rods do the work and only pop it in neutral if I feel I really need to and we can get the other lines in. Only had to do that a couple of times this year, once it was a 14" Bow, he must have had the line wrapped around a rock, ha,ha ??????????????????

I think the Tatsu 4# is a great leader, but if your nervous, go to 6#, 8# Tatsu is super for a main line, none better. It made a believer out of me, great knots and very limp line, I can hardly see it out of the water.

Big John

Thanks for the line advice John, I've read many positive comments on the Seagar lines so I'll try it next (I use Vanish fluoro now) . I've only lost a couple due to actual breaks and one may have been a sloppy knot unraveling and the one just recently may have dragged across the downrigger cable or blades as it had some abrasion (teeth?) on the stub. Lately, have had some heavy fish on but they seem to shake off when the battle comes to a standstill, so maybe lighter drag and more patience is the key.

Let em run as much as they want, they can't get into much trouble like a Bass can if you don't hog it right into the boat.

I like real light action rods and let the rod do the work, it's great line but expensive. However I've only used it a month or so, could change my mind, but it seems like super stuff..

I had a knot break like nothing when testing a knot I had just tied with it once, re-tied and it was no problem. Not sure why, but that happens now nand then with any line, maybe it's me, I do wet the line before I snug it up.

Never hurts to give a new knot a few tugs.

Heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend, I hope B Man is right and the storms turned the fish on some, maybe oxygenated the water or something. I haven't fished

Big John